Evolution

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
My apologies Bill, I did not mean it in an offensive way, but as just another insight into how people are trying to get around arguments or present their own. I have removed the link. If you follow my posts you can see that I am not trying to introduce it in any way at all.

Tnx

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Make no mistake, Intelligent Design is just another way of saying Creationism. It does not accept Evolution in the slightest, which puts it firmly into the religion side of the argument.
I don't want to jeopardize the thread any further, but I'm really not sure about the above statement. That was the point of my argument earlier--I don't think religion directly says that nothing like evolution ever happened, though I guess that depends on the religion. I was just putting the thought out there: what if--what if--BOTH theories were right?

I should probably stop posting here. My beliefs often come out way too often, and I realize that. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Regards

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When this thread scrolls off the front page I will quietly close it, if nothing happens to it first, to keep trolls from trying to stir.

I love science, and think the current work with custom DNA is both exciting and scary. It is part of evolution too, the future chapters.

Anyone seen the movie GATTACA?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I have and barely remember it, and as you mention custom DNA work, we are starting to move in that direction. This morning on the news I heard that many canadian parents to be go over to US because there you can select sex of you baby (advertised for "family balancing"), something that is illegal in Canada. So, soon to follow, hair color, eye color, I am sure that someone is already working on some sort of gene modification therapy to allow short parents to have tall children etc....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
"GATTACA" is a snippet of genetic code. Basically the story starts with a baby being born, and his genetic code is immediately analyzed. The news is not good, alcoholism, and other predispositions. So this poor kids is a second class citizen, no appeal. The story is about this person overcoming societies limits.

There was a move in Congress to make that kind of information very private. It was dropped.

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
That of course assumes that all life evolved from the first organism. Probably not a good assumption. Evolution, most likely, is repleat with starts and stops, parallel processes, multi branching, etc.

It's been a few years since I studied it, but I do believe plants were around for millions of years before the first animals, and turned the CO2 rich atmosphere into an O2 rich one, which paved the way for animals to appear. But plant and animal evolution happened seperately, not one from the other.

It doesn't matter where the first oxygen breather came from, for a long period in the Earth's history there were no oxygen breathers because there was no oxygen.

So the simple appearance of an oxygen breather was a sudden and large change.

However there are many other equally clear cut examples.

For instance all earliest life was single celled. The first multicellular organism (presumably two) was again a large and sudden change. You cannot have a 1.5 celled organism.

@Bill

I think you should check your sources.

For the first 3 billion years of life on earth a simple organism (still found alive in Australia) called stromatolites were the norm.

These generated the oxygen atmosphere.

http://www.wmnh.com/wmel0000.htm

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/hamlin_pool_stromatolites.html

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't see how the appearance of oxygen breathers would be any larger of a change from any other breathers. As I've said, plants would have converted a CO2 rich atmosphere into an O2 rich one, leaving the door open for oxygen breathers to make their appearance.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, assuming evolution is 100% true, I don't think it would be possible for an organism to "suddenly breathe oxygen". I imagine it would have to take place over several thousand or million or billion years (however you see it). As the oxygen in the atmosphere increased, the organisms would have had to adapt to the changing balance, until eventually they depended mainly on oxygen. I don't think it would have been a single, sudden step.