Evolution

Discussion in 'General Science' started by Lightfire, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Okay. Sorry for my post earlier.

What are the characteristics of the oldest human ever lived in the world?

Homo bla bla.

I'm just curious......... can they walk, why they evolve. i know the things evolve time by time (because of the environment, etc)...... so what's exactly "the evolution" .....are man a man from the beginning. the evol. says its an ape or so....... so why ape now can't be human? why still there apes? and so?

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Being human is tricky subject. Chimps and Bonobo Chimps are out closest living relatives, they are two separate species that share a large part of out genetics. It appears there is some debate how close our genetics really is, at one time it was considered less than 1% difference, but reading the Wikipedia article this is up for debate.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=68961

When you try to piece the ancestry of man nothing can be certain. You will find many people stating facts which aren't. You just have to read and try to work it out as best you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_man

Thing is, you are really questioning the Theory of Evolution, if I'm not mistaken. The evidence for that is much more documented.

DNA can change, this is called mutation. We change DNA with radiation and chemicals in the lab frequently, with simple things like fruit flies. Mutations are pretty random, and usually fatal to the unfortunate animal who experiences it.

On very rare occasions though, it can actually do something that helps the recipient. This is where the theory of evolution comes in. If it helps, the likely hood of an animal having children is increased, and they in turn have a better chance of survival.

3. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Bill,,,,,,

but what really bugs me is that its says that it just a great chance that we have brain..... WHAT?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    No, chance creates mutation, ruthless culling does the rest. If it doesn't work perfectly then the animal dies.

As for the brain, look at the other animals. We are not the only smart critter out there. Dolphins have brains as big as ours, and if you look around you will find many other smart animals.

Man is different in that we can almost (very close) direct our own genetic destiny, make new things in biology that have never existed before.

5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    At least a few things had to come together for us to be where we are now. Big brains are important, but the ability to communicate complex ideas is very important. Many animals only have a few grunts. Manual dexterity is also important, if we were intelligent, talking, horses, then we would have had no way to make tools.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Those are all good thoughtful questions, some of which science has no good answers for. There are many other people who doubt much of evolutionary theory because of those and other similar questions. Keep thinking for yourself. Read, study, and reach your own conclusions.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    DerStrom8 and strantor like this.
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Or Dolphins perhaps? They appear to have excellent vocalizations, but no hands.

8. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Evolution is a theory. It's the best explanation for what we see, but personally I question it. We can see it happen, for instance breeds of dogs; we (humans) created all the different types of dogs through selective breeding. This can happen naturally as well. However, the tale of an amoeba mutating in a fish that mutated into a land-walking fish, into a lizard, into a monkey, into man, I consider it just that, a tale. For years we've seen the chart in school, depicting an ape, with several steps becoming into a human. We've heard about "the missing link" - the truth is, there is not just ONE missing link; skeletal remains of ALL of those "intermediaries" are absent. The whole thing is conjured up by science in a desperate attempt to explain our existence. I don't know how we got here, but I sincerely doubt that that is the answer.

EDIT:
    Imagine what evolutionary-minded scientists would say if they visited this planet millions of years from now and examined the remains of dogs. They might conclude that chihuahuas evolved into dobermans.

9. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I've read that humans share about 95% of their DNA with chimpanzees. I have also read that humans share about 90% of their DNA with bananas. Does that mean we could have evolved from bananas? :eek:

strantor likes this.
  10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    @lightfire,

Whatever is the "oldest human" sort of depends on what you might consider a human. There are many hominini, creatures that share many characteristics with modern humas, in the history of evolution. Some had primative vocal communications, others exhibited reason and logic, thos things that are considered human. One of the oldest humaniods ever discovered is believed to be about 3 million years old, but she wouldn't be recognized today as "human" the way we think about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus))

It's not really believed that humans evolved from apes. That's a popular myth. Current evolutionary theory is that man and ape evolved in parallel, and share a common ancistory. Another interesting fact that might surprise you ( as it did me when I first learned it ) is that there was other, distinctly different, humans in evolutinoary history who's lineage just dies out. For example, Neanderthals were distinctively different than Cro-Magnon ( modern ) humans, but their kind died out, and are not considered part of the modern human evolutionary chain. The oldest evidence of "modern" humans has beed dated to about 35,000 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-Magnon

11. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    A quick search for "human banana dna similarity" returns many results ranging from around 20% to 90%. This suggests that people are just guessing.
    There will be some similarity because humans and bananas both evolved from some kind of bacteria or archaea.

DerStrom8 and Brownout like this.
  12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009

While that was formerly thought true, they (Max Planck Institute) have found that they did interbreed. And all but African peoples carry some Neanderthal genes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal

13. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    It is believed that some mixing may have taken place, but as a species, the most prevelent belief is that the race died out. Here is an excerpt from your reference:

14. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Oh well, biology. I couldn't even understand what is DNA for then I would study evolution.

15. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    You don't need to understand DNA. Darwin had no knowledge of it. Just research and keep an open mind.

16. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
  17. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    There seems to be some discussion going on about 'evolution' in several threads here.

Several points are worth making.

1) Over the last hundred years practitioners (dentists in particular) have recorded so called micro-evolution in humans. This is not 'just a theory' it is recorded medical fact.

2) Evolution itself is a process not a theory and also applies to systems other than life in general and humans in particular.

3) Darwin's theory is just one (proposed) mechanism for the way evolution may be brought about.

4) Darwinian evolution is being applied in electronics in neural network programming with some success.

18. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    My personal opinion? They were created as humans by a God, and they "evolved" over the years to adapt to the changing environment. I don't see why that's not possible. I don't believe humans are descended directly from apes and/or chimpanzees. I think they were just another species "evolving" along with humans. I don't believe this took millions/billions of years. I believe it only took about 6-10 thousand. Those are my beliefs, because they make sense to me, and I am comfortable with them.

Lightfire likes this.
  19. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    It was Lucy for a while, then they found a couple others even earlier. Typically frozen found cavement and even Lucy and other pre Homosapian skeletons showed old injuries healed, broken bones that had set, blunt force trauma to the head as cause of death for many. Usually found with furs' herbs, stone tools, weapons, etc.. One was even found with a bunch of mushrooms. Another frozen one they found a spear point broken off in his chest. They estimated he was in a fight and got speared then climbed up into the mountains to hide and froze to death. Many great books on the subject. But basically they were 1 step up from chimps, like to cause death for fun or social status, biggest man gets the most women, etc...

As far as evolution we evolved from rodents, into primates, into humans. All the skeletal proof is there. Lucy was even dubbed the missing link when they found. Here she is in all her splendor. 3.2 million years old and looks much like a tiny sasquatch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_(Australopithecus)

20. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Der, SAME! MAN EVOLVED FROM MAN ITSELF! JUST EVOLVE BY SMALL CHANGES! BUT I BELIEVE AT FIRST, MAN CAN THINK LOVE FELL, ETC!!!