Everything is just ducky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by someonesdad, Nov 20, 2010.

1. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Nothing like relaxing by reading your Kindle on a snowy day and having the pet duck keep your leg from floating up in the air. Yeah, the duck is wearing a diaper so she can come in the house.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    ..I am actually going to use this: OMG!

That duck is WEARING A DIAPER! (So it's ok to come inside ;) )

How old is she?

3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Whos the lucky ducky son,and what his
    forum name. Someonesduck.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    OMG! (Twice in a lifetime and both in the same thread)

Loosewire...that was actually....funny! :D

5. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I'll tell the story as long as no one tries a bunch of duck puns -- we've heard them all around this house.

Last summer my wife saw an ad on the web (no pun) that someone wanted to get rid of a duck. My wife was the first one who responded. The duck was bought by a father for his little girl last spring, but the mom was pregnant again and was tired of cleaning up the messes. They let the duck come into the house because they had all-wood floors. This duck was raised with humans from a chick, so it is bonded to humans.

We were able to give the duck a good home, as we have a 1 acre lot all fenced in. We also have 10 chickens and a chicken coop, so the duck sleeps with the chickens at night. The animals wouldn't survive otherwise, as we have foxes and raccoons around. About 5 or 10 years ago, we had 4 or 5 ducks and we lost them all to a fox. One of the ducks survived for a while with one leg ripped off, so we had a one-legged duck for a while. Surprisingly, she got around pretty well and I avoided the temptation to name her Eileen. For some reason, she was named Dudley.

The new duck will always be around people when people are in the yard. She's happy to be around people, but will forage out in the lawn with the chickens when no one is around.

My grandkids get a kick out of the fact that this duck absolutely loves a man with a shovel. They had to be shown what this means. One of them picked the duck up and turned her back to me so the duck couldn't see me. Then I walked out about 30 m away with my shovel in my hand. I told them to put the duck down and, as soon as she saw me, she came running in her funny waddle. You see, she spent the summer with me out in the yard while I'd fix sprinklers and a broken sprinkler means digging and WORMS. They are her candy and she'll find every worm in sight. She's so obnoxious that she'll climb down in the hole I'm digging and get in the way. I have to be careful not to hurt her and I have to push her off to the side. But she gets right back in, so it means I just don't dig as fast as I normally would. One of our cats, Buddy, is also a "helper" and gets in the way when I'm trying to work.

The duck is in heaven when I fill the hole back in because I use the hose to wet the dirt down to a muddy mess. She's in the mud rooting around for things. It's actually interesting to watch her, as she's a filter feeder and is quite efficient at it.

Her name is Daddles, as that's the name of a duck we had when I was growing up. I just call her Duck Duck. She's a real kick and we'll get her another companion duck next spring.

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Does she lay eggs? Duck eggs are tasty.

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    So are duck legs. ;)

_ KIDDING! _

8. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes she does, but we get far more eggs from the chickens. When I was in college, I loved to go duck hunting because roast wild ducks are very, very tasty. We've killed and cooked a few of the ducks we've had, but they don't taste anything like wild ducks.

Most people have never seen or tasted "real" eggs from ducks and chickens -- by this, I mean from birds that have been eating bugs & stuff outside. Their eggs have beautiful golden-orange yolks, unlike the sickly, anemic eggs bought in the store. Plus, we get some pretty big eggs, too -- some make you think the chicken must have said "Ouch!" when it came out... :p