every thing behind me

stephendej

Joined May 17, 2012
It's me again,(pots smoking) I wired up my amp meter on the return side of my circuit and it works perfectly good. I dont even have to hook-up the second wire of the amp meter, but I tied it to ground anyway. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I just cant understand why I can't place my amp meter inline and get a current reading with these Chinese meters. Like I said before, if I hook the meter between a circuit it should read the current passing through that line. Instead it keeps buring up my pots I use to vary my load, So I give up, I'll just wire them to work.​

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ammeter design

You will have to do some reading. A amp meter is a modified voltmeter, for example.

You can not use a pot as a load reliably. You have already seen why this is the case.

One of the core concepts here at AAC is the textbook we have on the top of the page, along with quite a few other tutorials.

To get help from a specific member, post a link to a public thread asking for help in a PM (private mail). Be sure you have your private mail turned on in your profile. Most times requests will be honored.

How to upload an attachment.

To attach a document or picture to a post

Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom of your post,

One of several options will pop up,

Click "Manage Attachments" much further at the bottom of your post,

To upload a file from your computer click "Browse", then select the file.

Schematics should be .gif or .png format, pictures should be .jpg. .jpg formats will fuzz out schematics, and should not be used for that purpose.

---------------

If you want to display this file there is an old thread I made,

How to Display Attachments Full Size

Linking to pictures

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
It's me again,(pots smoking) I wired up my amp meter on the return side of my circuit and it works perfectly good. I dont even have to hook-up the second wire of the amp meter, but I tied it to ground anyway. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? I just cant understand why I can't place my amp meter inline and get a current reading with these Chinese meters. Like I said before, if I hook the meter between a circuit it should read the current passing through that line. Instead it keeps buring up my pots I use to vary my load, So I give up, I'll just wire them to work.​
Sorry you have lost me. How can an ammeter work if you are only connecting one wire?? Is it a clip on ammeter by any chance?
You say ammeter works fine on the return side of your circuit and then in the next line say that you can't get the meter to give you a reading when you place it inline.
Inline with what? Can you give us a rough drawing of your setup and I will try and help you if I can. Right now I haven't a clue what you are on about.:confused:

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to use an audio taper potentiometer. An audio taper pot can't handle much current. Try using a wirewound rheostat.