Ever considered writing a book?

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Has anyone ever considered writing a book on what they know?

From my experience (as a student) I've always found myself having to skim through several different books in order to get the answer that I'm looking for and there should be no reason for me to be doing this. I'll find myself in situations where I'm like; that was a sh*t book, that book was O.K., solutions to odd numbered problems? Say what?

I'm considering a treatise where one size fits all. A universal book that occurs in volumes.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I struggle to put it into words what I'm trying to picture. It's like, if I read a post from a member who's been obviously doing it for 40-50+ years there's just that element of experience in what they're saying. Of course, no book is a substitute for experience, but it should be explained in such a way you're under an illusion you feel like you know as much as they do.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
This might help the idea what I'm trying to picture. I play chess a lot and there's a point of convergence where, from experience alone, your opponent knows as much as you do. The best chess players are the most well read about the theory of chess. But then it backfires because the experience is what makes the theory, this is what makes my idea difficult to explain.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
You don't get it. It's a standardized treatise on the theory of EE that can be used by all students and professionals. Every kind of circuit analysis problem that could be possibly envisioned would be approached using every possible technique available with all solutions (as an example). The pages would have to be columned, I'm that serious.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I would anticipate the prodigious volume of compiling, checking and editing required would deter all but the most disciplined & determined of authors. Are you up to the task? I'm not & probably don't have sufficient life left in the tank to complete such a task.

Schaum's Outlines might be a useful paradigm.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I'm considering a treatise where one size fits all. A universal book that occurs in volumes.
You don't get it. It's a standardized treatise on the theory of EE that can be used by all students and professionals. Every kind of circuit analysis problem that could be possibly envisioned would be approached using every possible technique available with all solutions (as an example). The pages would have to be columned, I'm that serious.
You are correct. I don't get it. For one thing, that's the first time you have limited your "treatise" to EE; prior to that, it appeared that you were going to write everything about everything. And my ego isn't big enough to think that I know everything about anything, so my answer to your initial question is, "No."

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
See link above for Lessons in Electric Circuits. It is an open source (well, not quite) textbook. I've written for it, a lot of us have.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
My vision will be nothing but a misunderstood idea from everyone else until I've achieved what I wanted. Ashley Milton, remember that name.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
My vision will be nothing but a misunderstood idea from everyone else until I've achieved what I wanted. Ashley Milton, remember that name.
Perhaps you imagine we are closed minded luddites. On the contrary your vision is probably well understood by most of us. I doubt playing the misunderstood genius card will get much pay-off.

By all means fulfill your vision if you are able.

If you look at the enduring works that encompass a broad range of topics (let alone the entire possible compilation of all things electrical) they are often the result of a joint effort on the part of a team of people well versed in their particular fields of expertise - and who have the track record to back their claimed expertise. To achieve your goal will perhaps require a similar approach.

Even the supposedly wisest people of the past had their doubts. Wasn't it King Solomon who said that there was no end to the making of books and that this was in the final analysis, a wearisome matter.

I believe Socrates never wrote a book that we know of. Probably couldn't find a publisher who believed in him.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Has anyone ever considered writing a book on what they know?

From my experience (as a student) I've always found myself having to skim through several different books in order to get the answer that I'm looking for and there should be no reason for me to be doing this. I'll find myself in situations where I'm like; that was a sh*t book, that book was O.K., solutions to odd numbered problems? Say what?

I thought about it; then suddenly realized it would be just a paragraph and gave up.:rolleyes:

kv:)

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Perhaps you imagine we are closed minded luddites. On the contrary your vision is probably well understood by most of us. I doubt playing the misunderstood genius card will get much pay-off.

By all means fulfill your vision if you are able.

If you look at the enduring works that encompass a broad range of topics (let alone the entire possible compilation of all things electrical) they are often the result of a joint effort on the part of a team of people well versed in their particular fields of expertise - and who have the track record to back their claimed expertise. To achieve your goal will perhaps require a similar approach.

Even the supposedly wisest people of the past had their doubts. Wasn't it King Solomon who said that there was no end to the making of books and that this was in the final analysis, a wearisome matter.

I believe Socrates never wrote a book that we know of. Probably couldn't find a publisher who believed in him.
O.K. my ludicrous claims may have exposed themselves as a bit far-fetched to say the least. But yes you're absolutely right; it would involve a joint team effort associated with a variety of experienced professionals conceived from dissimilar backgrounds. The driving force of my thread was nothing more than an idea to put right from what I've experienced when learning theory. I know for a fact everyone here has had to rely on several books in order to seek the answers they desire on the same subject matter. I was attempting nothing more than to eliminate that time wasting effort whereby everyone could rely on a single book alone.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You should know better.
Think of all the books you have ever consulted, add in all the things you learned here from people in specialized fields that you never even heard of, and multiply that by how much you already found out you don't know. The end result would be a pretty good library for a technically oriented university, not a book. You couldn't write it in 30 lifetimes, and you would have to revise the first volume a long time before you got to the last volume.

At this moment, the Internet is writing that book. It has millions of authors, it is updated daily, and it still can't keep up. Personally, I have begun to realize how much I don't know. What were you thinking?