even more inexpensive Arduino starter kit than these?

dentaku

Joined Jul 29, 2013

dentaku

Joined Jul 29, 2013
You're still looking to break the $23.50 price barrier?

By how much?
The cheaper looking one will actually be a bit over $55 Canadian after shipping.
I know it's still ridiculously cheap but was wondering if someone had a low priced kit they liked even better.

The Chinese seller already has the shipping included in the price so it's actually cheaper.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
don't bother with the kit, just buy enough for your first project an build it up from there (i.e. Uno, small breadboard, LED, resistors and hook-up wire). It's more fun and you end up with a spares drawer of useful stuff

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I made my own kit (PIC) but I have much more money into it than any kit you can buy, especially after I smoked a couple parts by connecting them backwards (damn dyslexia!)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Not what you asked for, but I ran across this, which is pretty cool. The AtMega328 has I/O which are broken out to headers for general I/O use. Thus you can use the processor for general project processing and have an onboard LCD all ready to go! But, you'll have to spend extra money for the FTDI board. :(

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10097

Having a look at these kits the branding on the Arduino board looks a bit dodgy to me - I'd be careful of knock-offs both because of any issues you might have, as well as undermining the great work that Arduino do.

I agree you don't need all that stuff in the kit - start out with the Arduino and a few basic components (resistors, LEDs, jumpers, potentiometer, a few sensors) and then build up as you go.

dentaku

Joined Jul 29, 2013
Having a look at these kits the branding on the Arduino board looks a bit dodgy to me - I'd be careful of knock-offs both because of any issues you might have, as well as undermining the great work that Arduino do.

I agree you don't need all that stuff in the kit - start out with the Arduino and a few basic components (resistors, LEDs, jumpers, potentiometer, a few sensors) and then build up as you go.
The branding is dodgy because the ARE cheap Chinese knockoffs :)
I should be getting the one from the Chinese seller in a few weeks. I could have ordered lots of the stuff separately but to get all of that in one package for that price is worth it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The branding is dodgy because the ARE cheap Chinese knockoffs :)
I should be getting the one from the Chinese seller in a few weeks. I could have ordered lots of the stuff separately but to get all of that in one package for that price is worth it.
I hope you are well satisfied with your purchase. A pre-wired board is the best way to start. These packages purpost to have "tutorials," though it seems they are just copying stuff out on the web. Still, if they include the parts you need to do them then you will have an overall bargan.

Let us know how you like (or did not like) the kit, and best of luck to you!

dentaku

Joined Jul 29, 2013
These packages purpost to have "tutorials," though it seems they are just copying stuff out on the web.
Yup, I'm curious as to how good or bad these supposed tutorials will be.
It's like there's already all kinds of stuff online for free anyway.