ETQ3000 Generator Voltage Output Help?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dumbfunded, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Dumbfunded

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Anyone who Knows:
    Thank you in advance. I purchased and own an ETQ3000 Portable Generator. Its stated RPM is 3600; It stated output is 20.5A @ 120V output. I have been using it daily for (3-6) three to six hours a day letting it cool off between uses by at least 7 hours and then restarting it and using it again for about 3-4 hours to keep my perishable food product refrigerated and in the freezer frozen.

The oil is monitored religiously and changed every 40 hours or so of usage.

When I first began using this generator, its output was as stated. Now it is only putting out 100.7 volts. It has a dynamo type A/C alternator generator; and is in near pristine visible condition. I have noticed that there is some blow by of oil in the breather filter, but I take it that that is normal if the oil has been over filled slightly.

The manufacturer of this Generator has gone into Receivership and are out of California. I have contacted them, however, they have no remaining replacement parts to honor their warranty for me.

I am seeking to speak to someone who has knowledge on this particular model of generator to discuss adjusting either the Dynamo output, or the idle step RPM's. I also want to know how to hook up a tach so as to be able to check the manufacturers stated rpm to see if that has slipped and is lower than required and the culprit causing the drop in voltage.

You may e-mail me directly if you know what you are talking about and know how to check these things on this particular model. It is mirrored off the HONDA 160cc OHV engine. ETQ made theirs a 166cc OHV I guess so that Honda could not say they stole their engine design.

I would appreciate an answer from someone knowledgeable in this area so i can get this back on track before it burns out my refrigerator and or freezer motors due to low voltage. I can not have it off line more than 7 hours at a time or I will start loosing perishable food product, most of which is wild game and my food source.

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Hopefully your volt meter has a FREQUENCY feature "Hz". If so, carefully plug your well-maintained leads into any outle powered by your generator and hopefully it reads 60hz. If you don't have frequency measurement capability, run down to RadioShack or Home Depot and get one. That will answer your low RPM question. Low RPM is likely your issue.

On the other hand, you can also try to bump up the governor speed very slightly to see if your voltage goes up. Before you do that, however, you may want to disconnect the generator from the rest of the house and only connect some appliance you can afford to loose (halogen lamp, for example). Good luck.

3. tinkerman

Jul 22, 2012
    You might post your question here:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Lots of knowledgeable members there.

You might get a clue from the brightness of an ordinary incandescent bulb. Touch the governor or throttle linkage to give it a few more revs and watch your voltmeter and the bulb intensity. Also with a bulb plugged in add some load. If the intensity doesn't drop much and the engine changes tone I'd guess the regulator is working fine and it is likely a speed problem.

4. Dumbfunded

Dec 22, 2012
    So it appears that the RPM issue was perhaps an accurate assumption. I will try to increase the speed and see what my volt meter states. I will also see if the tester I have has a HZ meter and test that too. Thanks. Will advise after I have tried your suggestions.

5. Dumbfunded

Dec 22, 2012
    I adjusted the Idle Speed Screw while constantly monitoring my Volt Meter and when I reached 118.9 volts and it was fluctuating between 118..9 and 119.8 I left it well enough alone.

Everything began sounding much better when it turned on and I believe the problem was resolved. THANK YOU BOTH OF YOU>

6. tinkerman

Jul 22, 2012
    When you say idle speed screw, does this machine have an idle and full throttle speed? Some gen sets have an idle speed and rev up to 3600 RPM when a load is applied. The idle speed will be 3000 RPM or lower depending on manufacture. Many gen sets don't have this saving feature though.

Does the voltage stay reasonably stable with changing loads? You haven't tried a frequency meter on it yet to see if it's close to 60HZ?