Ethernet microcontroller with TCP/IP stack

danmec

Joined May 4, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for a microcontroller with an ethernet interface and a TCP/IP stack.
There seems to be a lot of microcontrollers on the market with ethernet capabilities so I am looking for some advice to narrow down the selection.

Here are some things I desire:
*Full TCP/IP stack that is quick to get using.
*SSL support.
*Good volume pricing. This is a high volume project.
*Somewhat new. I really don't want an end of life happening shortly into production.
*A decent development board selection.
*A good IDE. I really like the eclipse based IDEs.
*File system libraries are a plus, but not necessary. I will be putting an sd card on the prototype for logging and a file system will be nice.

I don't have too much time to spend on the ethernet side of this project so something with a good toolchain that can get me going quickly would be great.

Thanks,
Dan

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Check out the PIC32 microcontroller from Microchip, they have TCP/IP stacks available, and can use the ENC28J60 stand alone ethernet controller (or newer IC). I have successfully used these products to create a DHCP enabled webserver, with all the HTTP files served from an SD Card, also includes the capabilities for BSD sockets, and SNMP agents. All code samples and stacks available on Microchips site.

B. Morse

danmec

Joined May 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies,

I ordered the DM163024 eval board which includes both the ENC28J60 and the PIC18F97J60.

BMorse:
Do you have any pointers for approaching this task?
Such as any application notes, rtos, or libraries that you recommend?
Did you use just microchip's libraries or are there any others you used?
Do you know if microchip's stack has SSL support?

I am also looking at the LPC17xx series. They have a pretty feature packed microcontroller that is affordable. It also looks like they have SSL support in their free TCP/IP stack.
Has anyone tried the LPC17xx or another LPC with their TCP/IP stack?
Any comments on their tool chain?

Thanks,
Dan

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
<snip>
BMorse:
Do you have any pointers for approaching this task?
Such as any application notes, rtos, or libraries that you recommend?
Did you use just microchip's libraries or are there any others you used?
Do you know if microchip's stack has SSL support?

<snip>
Thanks,
Dan
I do not really have any pointers, everything was pretty much straight forward.

There are some RTOS or Kernels you can use, I ended up using the polling method to run all my tasks I didn't use any RTOS or Kernels.

Yes, I just used Microchips libraries and file stacks.....

Yes, it does have SSL support.

You can go here to check out all the available stacks and software solutions for the Pic32MX UC >> http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2637

B. Morse