Ethernet Cable Splitter

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by brian25, Apr 25, 2014.

1. brian25

Thread Starter Member

May 13, 2013
    will it work if i used cable Splitter, one Rj45 is connected in my router and the other RJ45 is in my R232 to TTL Converter.

[​IMG]

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Probably not. Ethernet and RS232 are different protocols, and cannot be mixed. Whatever you are coming from on your PC (pictured on the right), will not connect to one of the devices likely.

What port are you connecting to on your PC? What is the RS232 to TTL converter connected to? Also that splitter looks like it is used for a telephone on POTS (plain old telephone service), and is not used for either RS232 or Ethernet.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    brian25 likes this.
  3. fernan82

Apr 19, 2014
    No, you'll need a difference amplifier to convert Ethernet signal to TTL first and even then if you want to communicate in software you'll need to implement all Ethernet layers in software.

There's MCU and Ethernet chips that implement the PHY and MAC layers in hardware and the manufacturer may offer a whole TCP/IP stack firmware or you can get a module that already has everything you need.

brian25 likes this.
  4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    You can buy a Serial to Ethernet bridge. Another option if you're using WiFi is a WiFly but you'll have to build a power supply and level translation for the serial port.

Sparkfun has the WiFly and a daughterboard for RS232.

brian25 likes this.
  5. brian25

Thread Starter Member

May 13, 2013
    i thought i can use that principle design because PC is Layer 3 device and rarely i use serial to ethernet(console) in configuring cisco router which is also Layer 3 device like this one.

[​IMG]

is this the kind of ethernet amplifier that i need?

[​IMG]

6. fernan82

Apr 19, 2014
    No I was speaking of a circuit like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_amplifier#Operational_amplifier_as_differential_amplifier to convert the differential signal to single ended.

But the only reasonable use for this is if you just want to "look" at the Ethernet signal. Otherwise it's too much work to be worth it and I don't even know if the splitter concept will work so you should use an Ethernet module or bridge as suggested before.

There are some "splitters" made specifically for Ethernet that are basically differential amplifiers. They convert the differential signals of two cables into a pair of single ended signals that can be sent through one cable (for a short distance) and they must be used on both ends. If you just want to look at the signal you can use one of those in combination with the splitter that you're already using instead of building you're own circuit.

7. eetech00

Jun 8, 2013
    Brian

What are you trying to accomplish?
    Are you trying to configure out of band management to a Cisco router?
    What will be connected to the remote serial port?

eT

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Brian,
    That blue CISCO cable is not an Ethernet cable. It is a custom serial cable to connect a PC's RS232 serial port to the router for configuration purposes.

As such, the Ethernet bridge you've shown will not work.

9. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014
    If the main objective is to only run one CAT5 cable, then you could just extend a USB port using the cable and one of these:
    [​IMG]

Add a two port hub:
    [​IMG]

Add an Ethernet adaptor:
    [​IMG]

... and an RS232:
    [​IMG]

Now you have everything you asked for. ;)

I saw the items in the pictures for about $3 each on the net.