Estimation Skills - Question 2

What is the average value of a pickup truck load of mixed sheet metal - from a scrap metal yard mgr

• 0 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10 - $30

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • $30 - $100

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • $100 - $300

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • $300 - $1000

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I can't imagine a head gasket leak into the intake valve cavity, but maybe some engines have the entire intake plenum attached where a gasket leak could put coolant into the air stream. I don't have one of those, but HP seems to be talking about that scenario. Have you ever seen an engine designed that way?
The longer I think about it, I could see that a leak on the lower head gasket (gasket to block) could leak and fill the oil pan to lock the engine if allowed to sit a while before starting. Likewise, the stopped engine could allow coolant to enter the cylinder and cause a hydraulic lock on starting. In either case, I doubt the starter motor would be strong enough to break a connecting rod or bend a crankshaft.

The only story I've ever heard about water and bent motor parts are a boat flipping upside down with the engine running at a good clip. That was an unvalidated rumor. I never saw the boat run again but I also never heard an official diagnosis from the owner.

I've never heard of that happening. I believe it is impossible for a leaky gasket to dump water faster than a running engine can pump it out the exhaust pipe.
Any head gasket leak will leak from region of high pressure to low pressure - (I.e. bubbling exhaust gasses through the coolant and causing overheating and dilution of the cooling system. First symptom is a full (and overflowing) antifreeze overflow bottle).
I can't imagine a head gasket leak into the intake valve cavity, but maybe some engines have the entire intake plenum attached where a gasket leak could put coolant into the air stream. I don't have one of those, but HP seems to be talking about that scenario. Have you ever seen an engine designed that way?
The longer I think about it, I could see that a leak on the lower head gasket (gasket to block) could leak and fill the oil pan to lock the engine if allowed to sit a while before starting. Likewise, the stopped engine could allow coolant to enter the cylinder and cause a hydraulic lock on starting. In either case, I doubt the starter motor would be strong enough to break a connecting rod or bend a crankshaft.

The only story I've ever heard about water and bent motor parts are a boat flipping upside down with the engine running at a good clip. That was an unvalidated rumor. I never saw the boat run again but I also never heard an official diagnosis from the owner.
I see what you mean!:confused: -- Thus it seems the mode of damage I'm thinking of (i.e. that secondary to hydro-locking a running engine) would result from catastrophic intake manifold or plenum gasket failure?

Best regards
HP:)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I see what you mean!:confused: -- Thus it seems the mode of damage I'm thinking of (i.e. that secondary to hydro-locking a running engine) would result from catastrophic intake manifold or plenum gasket failure?

Best regards
Wikipedia says mostly happens from water entering the airbox (driving through a flood) or on boat engines. The last section about steam engines is interesting too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

It took me until tomorrow to think about this...but I believe you're right.
I'd rather be married to reality than any woman I ever met, even if the cost is the absence of a mistress.
It moves my stress anchor to a very low value.:)
FWIW My interpretation of the proverb has always ≈ "If reality is to be 'on your side' it must be your 'One And Only'":D

Best regards

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That beats my best time by 3&1/2 hours!
I got a buddy of mine that's been working on a Chrysler slant six pull, overhaul and remount for at least 12 years now so your 3 1/2 hours looks blazing fast in comparison.

I think his pull time was just over year and the rebuild is at 10 plus now since the first head bolt came out. :rolleyes: I'm figuring another 3 -5 and he might have the car up to being able to move on its own again assuming the whole drive train and suspension has not rusted solid by now.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
lol
My best was about 1.5hrs on 88 Cherokee 4.0l inline 6
I never pulled an engine out of a car . I always did vans where you start with the headlights and the center console or an Aerostar where you build a giant frame and lift the car off the engine.:eek:
That's my excuse, anyway.:oops:

ps, I got the parts in to fix the water leak in the Ford Explorer today.:)

I got a buddy of mine that's been working on a Chrysler slant six pull, overhaul and remount for at least 12 years now so your 3 1/2 hours looks blazing fast in comparison.

I think his pull time was just over year and the rebuild is at 10 plus now since the first head bolt came out. :rolleyes: I'm figuring another 3 -5 and he might have the car up to being able to move on its own again assuming the whole drive train and suspension has not rusted solid by now.
I can relate! -- I've a few 'perpetual projects' myself:oops::rolleyes::D

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I got a buddy of mine that's been working on a Chrysler slant six pull, overhaul and remount for at least 12 years now
I've a few 'perpetual projects' myself
I call those, "Bin Gonnas".
If I have been gonna fix that for three years or more, it's time I admit I'm not really interested, so it should leave and clear out the space it was taking up.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just took the monster car to fill the gas tank. Apparently this is a very hungry car. It says 82% of my oil life is remaining after 2.7 miles to the gas station and back, and I have 40.3 miles left in the 22 gallon gas tank, 1.35 miles after a fill-up. That's an oil change every 15 miles and 1.89 M.P.G. Either I'm going to be very busy changing the oil or this thing needs more microprocessors installed in it.:D

So I checked the ceiling pod to see how I'm going to fasten it back to the ceiling and the whole courtesy light section fell out in the floor.:eek:
Every plastic screw receiver in it fractured.:mad:
Time to rethink the ceiling pod. Nothing in it works except the fan control for the rear air conditioning, and that only works because I fixed it.
How to make the ceiling hole look less awful and keep the fan switch attached?
Fuss, stomp, cuss. More fractured plastic and more faulty microprocessors than I can keep up with!