Estimation Skills - Question 2

What is the average value of a pickup truck load of mixed sheet metal - from a scrap metal yard mgr

• 0 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10 - $30

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • $30 - $100

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • $100 - $300

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • $300 - $1000

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Do you realize that is more than a year of my income, after taxes?!!!
And it's a mere 20 grand to you?
What do you think an elitist is?
One who discards a years worth of income and feels guilty about imposing the burden of carrying it away?

"It's just not something a really elite person thinks about."

Don't think about it! Send me a check right away!
That kind of money doesn't get you close to the top 1%. Let's tax those dudes.:cool:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I guess we all discard objects/materials others might find useful -- It's just not something one thinks about?:confused:

Best regards
HP
It's not that. The thing is although for you money doesn't mean much of which for most of us those who have that situation are usually so well off financially that they have no clue as to how the rest of the world lives.

For us being able to discard something you know was worth $20K because 'it was too much work for you' is something the vast majority of us cannot relate in the slightest so yes it does come off sounding very much way above our social economical status for us to take lightly.

Sorry but most of us here can't begin to understand what it must be like to have such financial freedoms that it's worth giving up $20K of assets simply because you didn/t like the bit work it would have taken to cash it in yourself.
Maybe $20k is not worth a weeks worth of manual labor to you but as a number of us have pointed out that weeks worth of hard labor is equivalent to a year or more of our being able to live at the level we do.
As for myself being I have pretty much everything I own paid for so $20K is enough for me to live happily as I like for nearly three years without having to think once about finding job or doing anything.

Honestly what would the cash outlay for you to live three years of your life as you presently do cost? o_O

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That kind of money doesn't get you close to the top 1%.
I know.:( I'm sucking hind teat while other people feel guilty about imposing on someone to haul away $20,000 worth of metal.

Please excuse me. I have to find a thermostat housing for my used car because I don't have enough money to hire the work done.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
@tcmtech --- I see now that I should have responded to your response (rather than merely clicking the 'like' button) --- There was absolutely no need for you to apologize! -- Past experience has taught me that I tend to be insensitive in this area:( -- Coming across as I must have, your response was both understandable and, I daresay, appropriate!

With utmost sincerity
HP

That's alright. You simply hit a nerve I have had pushed on for the last two years by someone who thought they were too good for my "servant class people" lifestyle yet was clearly too lazy to do anything about it herself so overreacted a bit.

Forgiven here. ;)

But seriously if you got $20K just laying around in your way PM me I will happily take it off your hands. It might not buy you much but for me it's enough to finish my house project and really piss off my Ex as well! :D

What do you think an elitist is?
Right off hand I'd say one who thinks he/she is superior to others by dint of money or social position --- It ain't me!:)

"It's just not something a really elite person thinks about."
I'll wager you've tossed equipment I'd have highly valued!:cool: --- Aleph's 'Cryogenic HP' jibes aren't entirely without a glimmer of truth:D

Don't think about it! Send me a check right away!
First off, please rest assured that the jocular nature of the above quoted text does not escape me!;) -- That said, here's my 'canned' (but absolutely sincere) response to genuine requests of that nature: 'friendship and money/business doesn't mix!':eek::eek::eek:

Best regards
HP:)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
In a way this reminds of a conversation I had some years ago with my buddies with scrap yard.

I was visiting and doing some service work and we got to talking about tax rates. I said I was down so low on the income chart I got about $400 back that year. They were all wound up saying it must be nice to get money back!

I said, No not really. How much do you pay in?
After every possible deduction they can get they pay in about $1 million in taxes a year.

I said, think about it. I made just over $15,000 that year and got $400 back. You paid in one million after taking at least half a million in deductions ahead of it. By my estimates that means you had to have cleared at least $5 million gross that year. I barely cleared $15,000.
Seriously you're jealous of my $400 refund for making $15K and yet you had to have cleared $5 million to get into the tax bracket you are? :mad:

Since then my last job I had paid about $100K and when I did my taxes and ended up having to send them another almost $2500 on top of the already $20K+ I had deducted from my paycheck and I was still pleased with it.
Given any day of the week I will happily take $100K a year and pay back nearly 1/4 of it over making $15K a year and getting an extra $400. ;)

It's not that. The thing is although for you money doesn't mean much of which for most of us those who have that situation are usually so well off financially that they have no clue as to how the rest of the world lives.

For us being able to discard something you know was worth $20K because 'it was too much work for you' is something the vast majority of us cannot relate in the slightest so yes it does come off sounding very much way above our social economical status for us to take lightly.

Sorry but most of us here can't begin to understand what it must be like to have such financial freedoms that it's worth giving up $20K of assets simply because you didn/t like the bit work it would have taken to cash it in yourself.
Maybe $20k is not worth a weeks worth of manual labor to you but as a number of us have pointed out that weeks worth of hard labor is equivalent to a year or more of our being able to live at the level we do.
As for myself being I have pretty much everything I own paid for so $20K is enough for me to live happily as I like for nearly three years without having to think once about finding job or doing anything.
Many thanks for that! -- You have greatly assisted me to understand the negative responses to my remarks...

Honestly what would the cash outlay for you to live three years of your life as you presently do cost? o_O
Inasmuch as response to this question may provoke further bad feelings - I feel it is best left in abeyance...

Very best regards

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
First off, please rest assured that the jocular nature of the above quoted text does not escape me!;) -- That said, here's my 'canned' (but absolutely sincere) response to genuine requests of that nature: 'friendship and money/business doesn't mix!':eek::eek::eek:

Best regards
Fair enough. Send me $20K andI will do my best to never be your friend and I will badmouth every single thing you have ever done with your business work. :D

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Many thanks for that! -- You have greatly assisted me to understand the negative responses to my remarks...

Inasmuch as response to this question may provoke further bad feelings - I feel it is best left in abeyance...

Very best regards
It's not that so much. I really don't care how much money you have or how you got it.

Financially I am nothing to look at but I know that my material resources, namely my tools and equipment, and my knowledge level that goes with my skill sets could easily be something I could make people jealous and a bit put off with me if I were to flaunt it around that I have it and take it for granted while they do not have them. But I don't.
It was not how I was raised and I worked hard to get what I have so in all fairness I feel I am blessed and thusly very obligated to share with whomever I can that could use some help with whatever resoucesI have that they could use. I don't have money to give but I have physical resources to loan and knowledge I can give out freely to anyone who can benefit from it even if they don't fully understand what it is I did.

I could car less about how much or how little money I or anyone else has. What I do care about is how well do people share what they have an abundance of with those who come up short which is probably why I have friends who ar poverty level and those who make millions a year and I never look at either differently so long as they are doing what they can to share the resources they have with those who need the help.

That's what makes my life worthwhile. ;)

I know.:( I'm sucking hind teat while other people feel guilty about imposing on someone to haul away $20,000 worth of metal.

Please excuse me. I have to find a thermostat housing for my used car because I don't have enough money to hire the work done.
What can go wrong with a thermostat housing? Was it perchance fractured due to uneven torquing? --- I know, I'm an automotive idiot:( - But a curious one!:cool:

Best regards
HP

It's not that so much. I really don't care how much money you have or how you got it.

Financially I am nothing to look at but I know that my material resources, namely my tools and equipment, and my knowledge level that goes with my skill sets could easily be something I could make people jealous and a bit put off with me if I were to flaunt it around that I have it and take it for granted while they do not have them. But I don't.
It was not how I was raised and I worked hard to get what I have so in all fairness I feel I am blessed and thusly very obligated to share with whomever I can that could use some help with whatever resoucesI have that they could use. I don't have money to give but I have physical resources to loan and knowledge I can give out freely to anyone who can benefit from it even if they don't fully understand what it is I did.

I could car less about how much or how little money I or anyone else has. What I do care about is how well do people share what they have an abundance of with those who come up short which is probably why I have friends who ar poverty level and those who make millions a year and I never look at either differently so long as they are doing what they can to share the resources they have with those who need the help.

That's what makes my life worthwhile. ;)
I see what you mean -- It's a bit like 'karma' -- CIP - It seems I played 'Father Christmas' with my non magnetic steel? -- Sooo... perhaps Poseidon will smile upon my tube salvaging aspirations:) --- Seriously though -- in the 'big picture' I strongly feel there is much to what you say!:):):)

Very best regards

#12 We had old vhs tapes of tv show Steptoe and son I used to watch when I was young and it was just like that:eek:! Now I'm saying HP better mind her silver spoon before _rag and bone man_ nabs it:p!
:D I well and fondly remember that!--- Did you know that there was an American 'spin off' -- namely Sanford And Son?

All the best
HP

Are the tubes you are going after worth big bucks?
The large (20kW-100kW) external anode transmitting tubes and potted radiography tubes tend to be 'pricey' (as tubes go) -- Howbeit my interest in the tubes is 'for their own sake' (as opposed to resale) -- Additionally, there is a good variety of rare types (all NOS):):):)

Or are you going after the whole ship?
No, I receive the contents of the hold (i.e. the tubes) in exchange for assistance with raising the boat -- Sooo anticipating the tubes survival is a bit nerve racking:eek: -- Not that the dive is a major effort -- It's more the specter of disappointment should the tubes be damaged!:(

Best regards

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'll wager you've tossed equipment I'd have highly valued!:cool:
Let me think. I tossed away a 26 year old Zenith TV. My second TV is about 14 years old now, but it's still good, so I'm keeping it. I threw away a Heathkit vacuum tube volt meter that I made from a kit because it took an hour to stabilize and I bought a Fluke 27. That was 1978, and I still have the Fluke meter. I have tossed a couple of the $4 Harbor Freight multimeters when they failed. I still have the first scope I bought in 1977 and the signal generator I made from a kit. I'm still running that lawn mower in the shed photo that I took in 1993. When it dies, I will sell the metal. I still have the 3/8th inch socket set I bought in 1971. I tossed away the wood from a 50 year old fence which I replaced, but it was so weak that I broke the wood into pieces less than a foot long with my bare hands so it would fit in the trash cans. I habitually buy 10 year old cars and sell them for a few hundred dollars at 20 years of age or when they rain on the inside. I have a 1996 Aerostar right now. It has 3 gears left, Drive, Neutral, and Reverse. You can't buy parts to fix the air conditioner, the passenger door won't open, the estimate for suspension and steering repairs is $800, the interior looks like 3 midgets had a machete fight with a Bengal tiger, and the roof leaks. Would you like that when I get the 10 year old Ford Explorer running?

I gave my sister a couch that must have been worth $400 and I have given away hundreds of hours of free labor, but I don't think those qualify as something I discarded. Every speck of metal that crosses through here goes to the scrap yard and the remainder is mostly junk mail and the wrappers off my food. When I get a dead air conditioner, I don't sell it for 3 cents a pound under the label, "appliances", I take it completely apart and sell the individual metals for much better prices.

I did discard two wives for committing adultery.

See anything you like?

Attachments

Last edited:
Let me think. I tossed away a 26 year old Zenith TV. My second TV is about 14 years old now, but it's still good, so I'm keeping it. I threw away a Heathkit vacuum tube volt meter that I made from a kit because it took an hour to stabilize and I bought a Fluke 27. That was 1978, and I still have the Fluke meter. I have tossed a couple of the $4 Harbor Freight multimeters when they failed. I still have the first scope I bought in 1977 and the signal generator I made from a kit. I'm still running that lawn mower in the shed photo that I took in 1993. When it dies, I will sell the metal. I still have the 3/8th inch socket set I bought in 1971. I tossed away the wood from a 50 year old fence which I replaced, but it was so weak that I broke the wood into pieces less than a foot long with my bare hands so it would fit in the trash cans. I habitually buy 10 year old cars and sell them for a few hundred dollars at 20 years of age or when they rain on the inside. I have a 1996 Aerostar right now. It has 3 gears left, Drive, Neutral, and Reverse. You can't buy parts to fix the air conditioner, the passenger door won't open, the estimate for suspension and steering repairs is $800, the interior looks like 3 midgets had a machete fight with a Bengal tiger, and the roof leaks. Would you like that when I get the 10 year old Ford Explorer running?

I gave my sister a couch that must have been worth $400 and I have given away hundreds of hours of free labor, but I don't think those qualify as something I discarded. Every speck of metal that crosses through here goes to the scrap yard and the remainder is mostly junk mail and the wrappers off my food. When I get a dead air conditioner, I don't sell it for 3 cents a pound under the label, "appliances", I take it completely apart and sell the individual metals for much better prices.

I did discard two wives for committing adultery.

See anything you like?
Well hey! -- I'm bound to say I admire your ethic as regards conservation of materials and of conscientious recovery of residual value at their EOL!:) A 45 year old socket set! Wow! -- I do well to keep track of sockets for even 5 years!o_O:oops: And the 39 year old scope!:cool: - How ever did the input channels survive that long? -- I pride myself on 'test equipment TLC' - even so my lab (i.e. regularly used) O'scopes and SAs too frequently suffer damage to their input channels -- In one instance due to a piezoelectric transducer's output EMF - and that following 60 db of attenuation!:mad::oops:

What I had in mind (Re my comment at Post #65 Paragraph #2) was refrigeration equipment encountered in the course of your work as a contractor? -- Perhaps you've discarded or recycled equipment that was functional (or could be made to function) but was 'condemned' for obsolescence or otherwise failing electrical safety or energy conservation codes? -- Given a unit speced at a capacity in the 'neighborhood' of 100rt and optimized for low-temp operation (via adjustment/change-out of the metering devices [i.e. expansion valves or capillaries] and incorporation of an automatic frost mitigation timer, via, as for instance, a PLC) -- and hey presto! I'd have my own, private 'endothermic' paradise!:):):) --- Trouble with new equipment is, as you know, they (the contractors) will neither preform over-capacity installations nor even sell the 'raw' system components (despite my offer to waive warranty:() -- Please don't get me wrong! They went well beyond the 'call of duty' in an attempt to find a legitimate way 'round the regulations! - Sadly, it turns out that doing business on my terms would jeopardize their license:( --- Big bro strikes again!!!:mad::mad::mad: --- On the other hand I expect such equipment, minus the refrigerant, may be freely traded as scrap? --- All that said - my point was merely the 'one person's trash....' mantra again:)

Factory muck up. (That isn't how I usually spell, "muck".) Plastic too thin so it warps from the heat and recedes from the gaskets. You can find this on the internet as a chronic failure in Ford Explorers.
From cast iron to aluminium, and now aluminium to polymer!?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I recall a ruckus attending difficulties with certain GM V6 engines (3800 series?) which, having gone from aluminium to polymer intake plenums suffered quite anticipatable internal coolant leakage, hydro-lock and all the agro such entails! -- A situation aggravated, in no small measure, by factory installed and recommended 'gasket eating antifreeze'):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: --- I believe it's a mater of 'too many chefs' as opposed to 'engineered obsolescence' but then I tend to err on the side of optimism:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP

PS @GopherT -- I apologize that this has 'gone OT' -- If that's a problem, please advise me and I'll gladly move the post off your thread!:):):)

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Inasmuch as response to this question may provoke further bad feelings - I
What a society have we become where free speech has to be curbed so as not to offend someone.

Remind me of the story I read today about Emory where students were scared because of some pro-Trump chalk on campus.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What a society have we become where free speech has to be curbed so as not to offend someone.
Curbing speech? People are allowed to make an ass of themselves any time, you are a key example Dannyf.

Also,
Asking someone, "is that really what you meant",
Educating someone, "most people will interpret your statement differently"
Or notifying someone, "now that I know more about you, I prefer to spend my time with other people"
Are not curbing speech.