Estimation Skills - Question 2

What is the average value of a pickup truck load of mixed sheet metal - from a scrap metal yard mgr

• 0 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10 - $30

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • $30 - $100

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • $100 - $300

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • $300 - $1000

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
...Her reference was $1k per DAY and that was even considered unworthy of a practical person's effort.
While I find it unfortunate that my views on the relative value of time vs money annoy you -- I can apologize for neither my honesty nor my outspokenness as regards my feelings on the subject! -- Shall we agree to disagree and move on?:cool:

Best regards
HP

There is a metal recycling foundry (if that's the right word) just south of me, and I see lots of really beat up semi trailers headed there every day. Many of them are loaded with crushed cars with the wheels and tires still on them; I don't know if the engines and transmissions are still there or not. I always wonder if the loads are bought by the pound regardless of the content or if the recycler somehow pays based on the material mix. I always wonder how much a load brings, and I think about all the junk cars that are scattered over the countryside and wonder if they are worth hauling out for scrap. (It's just idle thinking; I am not going in the scrap business.)
It may vary region to region - FWIW, around here (North-central US) one is fortunate to dispose of a decommissioned vehicle free of charge:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Around here, scrap collectors call it a good day when they top $100.
I can but hope such collections aren't especially labor intensive?:eek:

Your offerings are (not quite) solid gold to people who have to scrounge for a living.
It's a two way street! --- I greatly appreciated their promptness and efficiency! --- They came out the afternoon I called -- at 3:00 PM!!!:):):)

I hope you never find out what it's like to live on $15,000 per year.
That makes two of us!:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though -- this isn't the first time I've been accused of 'being born with the silver spoon':( -- Really, I am not a 'sociolo-economic' elitist! Nor am I as wealthy as some may think! --- It is merely that money is as nothing in comparison with time! -- Then to, sometimes 'throwing money at a problem' is the surest cure!:)

Very best regards
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
No. Scrap collecting is an all day job, searching the streets in a rusty pick-up truck and sorting through the nastiest crap people throw in the trash to make enough money to buy gasoline and feed the baby.
#12 We had old vhs tapes of tv show Steptoe and son I used to watch when I was young and it was just like that:eek:! Now I'm saying HP better mind her silver spoon before _rag and bone man_ nabs it:p!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Those who have money want time, and those who have time want money.
It's so but I say more ppl would pay 9/10ths of their net worth to save 10 years of their life than would die 10 years earlier to double there fortunes! I say a billionaire on death row or with terminal illness would pay all their money to avoid death and get their years of freedom or health back:)!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
For the record I was not requesting an apology! - I was, in point of fact, offering an apology for any misunderstanding my post may have caused! --- @GopherT if you have something to say to me I would ask that you do me the courtesy of coming straight out with it -- as opposed to engaging in 'oblique sniping'...

Thank you
HP

HP, Oblique sniping? You quoted comments that I specifically directed to my dear friend TCMTech. Sniping means I expect a reaction or, got forbid, a change. In the next post you suggest I was "annoyed"... really?

Now, after four messages in my inbox from three different members and two messages from you I guess I should address it.

You claim you were not looking for an apology but what is the Gentlemanly TCMTech to do when you told him he misunderstood your earlier post. He had already berated you for your comments about hard work. So, while you did not say, "I want an apology", your phrasing said, "I expect an apology".

Please read your post again. It even made my wife and eldest son laugh. I've posted it below so you don't have to waste time searching for it.

I'm truly sorry that, once again, I seem to have come across as an 'elitist':(:rolleyes: -- I assure you such is not my attitude! --- It is merely that I place far greater value upon time than money! -- For that reason -- and that reason alone -- I cannot fathom anyone preforming difficult, hazardous tasks for so little gain!? -- That said, I neither disapprove of nor 'look down upon' said individuals! --- In point of fact, being (as most of them are) highly intelligent - I both marvel at and admire their high degree of alacrity in the face of such meager cause for motivation...
Ok, let's take this in parts: ,
I seem to have come across as an 'elitist':(:rolleyes: -- I assure you such is not my attitude!
Then, instead of explaining why you are not an elitist, you simply explain why you are an elitist (in a rather disjointed pair of sentences).

It is merely that I place far greater value upon time than money! For that reason and that reason alone, I cannot fathom anyone preforming difficult, hazardous tasks for so little gain!?

I can assure you that the men hauling away your scrap do not, as you imply, put more value on money than time. They put value on feeding their family, paying their rent and keeping their vehicle running ( and so on). They are actually very similar to you. Because they do value their time, they are trying to "make hay while the sun shines" and stash some good cash away quickly so they can feel a bit less stressed and spend more time with their families in the next few weeks.

I both marvel at and admire their high degree of alacrity in the face of such meager cause for motivation
People don't get excited about digging ditches, spreading manure, butchering chickens, or any other dreadful jobs. They get excited about buying shoes for their kids, taking the family out for pizza, having extra cash to buy a friend a beer or having a small nest egg set aside for the inevitable auto repair. They also know that "whistling while they work" makes crap work much better - sometimes it is a state of mind. Not everyone gets fulfilled by their career, quest for knowledge or what ever seems to be turning your crank.

I don't expect you to want to change. I don't expect that you could change if you tried. In fact, you are likely disagreeing with everything I said. If that is your frame of reference, never mind. I'm done.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sorry, but I agree with Gopher. You are so dedicated to sounding like the pinnacle of posh that your posts require a dictionary to understand and you project upon the working class a "cheerfulness and willingness" (alacrity, Dictionary.com) to dig through garbage for mere survival. If that isn't an elitist attitude, Santa Clause doesn't know what snow is.

Now, after four messages in my inbox from three different members and two messages from you I guess I should address it.
First off -- I have sent NO messages to your PM (recently if ever)--- If you indeed see messages ostensibly from myself please report the matter to a moderator or admin ASAP !-- They are not from me!!!

HP, Oblique sniping? You quoted comments that I specifically directed to my dear friend TCMTech. Sniping means I expect a reaction or, got forbid, a change.
Oh! Please! This sort subterfuge doesn't become you! As you are well aware public messages are public regardless of how they're 'addressed'!:rolleyes:

what is the Gentlemanly TCMTech to do when you told him he misunderstood
It was (and remains) both my intent and hope that he accepted my full 'ownership' of the blame for the misunderstanding...

He had already berated you for your comments about hard work.
Reaction to misapprehension requires no apology -- Again, I own the blame for said misunderstanding - wasn't that clear?

Please read your post again. It even made my wife and eldest son laugh. I've posted it below so you don't have to waste time searching for it.
My words are all of sincere, well intended and honest -- I'm sorry you find them comic? - What can I say?:confused:

Then, instead of explaining why you are not an elitist, you simply explain why you are an elitist (in a rather disjointed pair of sentences).
Apart from the disjunction of the sentences -- I don't see that at all:confused: -- @GopherT Where is this coming from? -- Honestly?

I can assure you that the men hauling away your scrap do not, as you imply, put more value on money than time. They put value on feeding their family, paying their rent and keeping their vehicle running ( and so on). They are actually very similar to you. Because they do value their time, they are trying to "make hay while the sun shines" and stash some good cash away quickly so they can feel a bit less stressed and spend more time with their families in the next few weeks.
More power to them!:) They've done me a great service as well! -- Further to that, I'd say I received the better part of the bargain!

People don't get excited about digging ditches, spreading manure, butchering chickens, or any other dreadful jobs. They get excited about buying shoes for their kids, taking the family out for pizza, having extra cash to buy a friend a beer or having a small nest egg set aside for the inevitable auto repair. They also know that "whistling while they work" makes crap work much better - sometimes it is a state of mind. Not everyone gets fulfilled by their career, quest for knowledge or what ever seems to be turning your crank.
Again, I am sincerely pleased both sides benefited! It is merely that I can - by no stretch of imagination, understand that amount of labor being so poorly compensated (i.e. via the scrap value alone) -- I was both prepared, and fully expected to pay for their services!

I don't expect you to want to change. I don't expect that you could change if you tried.
What would you have me change? -- You seem to be telling me the collectors got a better deal than I thought? -- A notion I genuinely welcome!:)

you are likely disagreeing with everything I said
Not necessarily -- It's more a matter of failure to comprehend 'the problem':confused: -- It seems you (and others) felt I was disparaging manual labor? -- When, in fact, I was expressing my opinion that it is grossly under-compensated! That said, inasmuch as I have received similar criticism in the past, I own the blame for said misunderstanding...

never mind. I'm done.
I'm truly sorry that I seem to have alienated you!:( --- I intended insult to no one:(

With utmost sincerely
HP

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
It's maybe not as bad as it sounds.
If for example run of the mill stainless was $300 a ton - twice as much as one quote and about 1/3 of HP's.
Pay for good health insurance for 2 guys and there significant other, depreciate the equipment, take a month or 6 weeks for vacation and sick days (my back hurts), then figure in the days with no work. Maybe $100k a year. Not bad, but hard work. It was a lot easier when I was one of those guys nobody missed when I was on vacation. :D
Just my estimate. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I agree with Gopher. You are so dedicated to sounding like the pinnacle of posh that your posts require a dictionary to understand and you project upon the working class a "cheerfulness and willingness" (alacrity, Dictionary.com) to dig through garbage for mere survival. If that isn't an elitist attitude, Santa Clause doesn't know what snow is.
#12 Trust me! they were 'cheerful' and then some! --- Truth be told I felt rather guilty that I was getting all that labor for mere scrap value! And NO they aren't stupid! - far from it -- That's what make's it so incredible!

@#12 It is clear to me that you and @GopherT are being both sincere and well meaning - I apologize that I seem to be missing something here?:confused:

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
First off -- I have sent NO messages to your PM (recently if ever)--- If you indeed see messages ostensibly from myself please report the matter to a moderator or admin ASAP !-- They are not from me!!!
Your messages were not in my inbox. They were posts 39 and 41 of this thread. The four messages in my inbox from several members were criticisms of those posts and suggestions of how I should respond.

For the record, the messages in my inbox were not from members who have posted on this thread today.

Your messages were not in my inbox. They were posts 39 and 41 of this thread. The four messages in my inbox from several members were criticisms of those posts and suggestions of how I should respond.

For the record, the messages in my inbox were not from members who have posted on this thread today.
Many thanks for the clarification!:)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Truth be told I felt rather guilty that I was getting all that labor for mere scrap value!
There's that elitist attitude again. "Mere scrap value"?! You "merely" discard $20,000 worth of metals?
Why don't you just send me $20,000. For that price I would violate my personal rule against allowing the Internet world to contact my real life.

Last edited:
There's that elitist attitude again. "Mere scrap value"?! You "merely" discard $20,000 worth of metals?
Why don't you just send me $20,000. For that price I would violate my personal rule against allowing the Internet world to contact my real life.
I guess we all discard objects/materials others might find useful -- It's just not something one thinks about?:confused:

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Do you realize that is more than a year of my income, after taxes?!!!
And it's a mere 20 grand to you?
What do you think an elitist is?
One who discards a years worth of income and feels guilty about imposing the burden of carrying it away?

"It's just not something a really elite person thinks about."

Don't think about it! Send me a check right away!

WOW!:eek:

This thread got interesting while I was out.:D
@tcmtech --- I see now that I should have responded to your response (rather than merely clicking the 'like' button) --- There was absolutely no need for you to apologize! -- Past experience has taught me that I tend to be insensitive in this area:( -- Coming across as I must have, your response was both understandable and, I daresay, appropriate!

With utmost sincerity
HP