ESR values

Guilngan

Joined Jan 26, 2008
Hi,

I have just brought an ESR meter and would like to know do anyone have a table or chart where shows the esr values for capacitors from 0.01uF to 10,000uF....Note-there is no table/chart came with the meter...Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A capacitor's effective series resistance depends quite a lot on the composition of the capacitor. The manufacturer usually publishes specs that include expected ESR for their capacitors.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you just want a feel for the range of values, the easiest way might be to go to a distributor that has links to datasheets (I use DigiKey), pick out a particular size, voltage, and chemistry, and click on a few. John

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Be aware that the ESR of capacitors varies with frequency. The low cost ESR meters typically measure the ESR at a single equivalent frequency. I say equivalent frequency because some of them use pulse techniques.

To give the meter a bit of a test, pick some capacitor and measure its ESR. Then put a fixed resistor with a value of the same order as the measured ESR in series with the cap, and measure the series combination with the meter. The indicated ESR should go up by the amount of the resistor you put in series.