ESR Meter - Which One to choose?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bwilliams60, Jul 20, 2015.

1. bwilliams60

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Hey Guys,
    Just wondering what everybody has for a preference for an ESR meter. I had the name of a company in Florida that sells a really good one but I seemed to have misplaced it. Looking forward to your answers and why you think it is a good buy.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I built my own, and it actually works! That said, there's a kit worth looking at if you're into making your own. I'll dig it up if you're interested. I can't comment on the commercial options.

3. bwilliams60

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 18, 2012
    The kit you speak of. Is it the blue meter kit? I have seen it but wasn't sure how good it was. I would be interested to see what you have.

4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Instead of a dedicated ESR meter why not 'go comprehensive' and purchase an LCR indicator?

Here's a nice 'mid-range' unit:
    https://testworld.com/used-electron...impedance-testers/keysight-agilent-hp-e4980a/

Here's a 'cheapie' that will suffice for most avocational purposes:
    http://www.p-mastech.com/index.php?...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29&vmcchk=1&Itemid=29

Edit: Please note that I chose the above linked pages solely for their images and descriptions of the instruments -- So while I can endorse the instruments, I have no knowledge of the linked vendors or site authenticity!

Best regards
    HP:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    Check out the SKU136841 at www.banggood.com. Not the best but works well enough for non-professional use. E

6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    I use a Sencore LC102 at work, capacitor inductor analyzer. checks ESR, Leakage, and Dialevtric absorption, as well as capacitor value and inductor tests.

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    See this thread.