Error in the encoder tutorial?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by i_like_fire, Jun 2, 2012.

1. i_like_fire

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am an avid fan of the content here and a first-time poster; if this is not the right place to post this, please let me know ASAP.

I believe I have found an error on the encoder tutorial: The boolean equations following the truth table on the 7-segment encoder seem off. These are not the answers I've gotten, and I have tested these on iCircuit and gotten incorrect results.

I am somewhat new to binary logic, so if I am wrong I would love to be corrected, but if anyone else can verify that these are wrong I'd be happy to take a stab at the right equations.
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You were almost right, but the previous thread, Gathering place for threads pointing out errors in AAC book, is specifically for confirmed errors. If this error is confirmed, a link to this thread will be posted there.

So where do you think the problem is, the gate diagram of the truth table, or the ladder diagram? I'll double check where you point to, though I am weak on ladder diagrams.
  3. bretm

Feb 6, 2012
    It looks like the truth table would be right if the 7-segment display were rotated 180 degrees. It appears to be upside-down. Look at the row for 001 (four) for the best illustration of this.

So technically it's not wrong, just needs careful assembly instructions! :)