Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/4.html

This page is missing a word in the caption to the 4th illustration down:

"Top half of secondary conducts during positive half-cycle..."

Looks like it should say "top half of secondary coil"

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Would it be more accurate to say "Top half of the secondary conducts during positive half-cycle..."

You guys are better placed for the correct terminology.

Dave

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Yeah, the addition of "the" does sound like it would be more appropriate, if terms "secondary" and "primary" are indeed used by themselves. However, that page looks like a help site for beginners ... so I'm not sure it's a good idea to use these terms, which, it might be argued, are somewhat like technical jargon. I was the person who made that initial post, and I didn't know about this naming convention at all. I came to this site 'cuz my book is ridiculously devoid of any explanation. So to me, "secondary coil" sounds right but just "secondary" sounds like a typo. And I think there may be many other visitors like me who may feel the same.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
That's a good point. The phrase "secondary winding, or simply 'secondary'" might be good for the first used of the term in the article.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yeah, the addition of "the" does sound like it would be more appropriate, if terms "secondary" and "primary" are indeed used by themselves. However, that page looks like a help site for beginners ... so I'm not sure it's a good idea to use these terms, which, it might be argued, are somewhat like technical jargon. I was the person who made that initial post, and I didn't know about this naming convention at all. I came to this site 'cuz my book is ridiculously devoid of any explanation. So to me, "secondary coil" sounds right but just "secondary" sounds like a typo. And I think there may be many other visitors like me who may feel the same.
Thank you for your further comments. I too now agree that for clarity we should emphasis the point with the text "secondary winding, referred heronin to as the secondary" (or words to that effect) at the first reference in that section. Would that seem reasonable?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the word secondary may also imply secondary circuit,
however the meaning it implies is always clear and seldom a clarification is required.
for the sake of being specific maybe it is advisable to use coil/winding conjugation.

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Changed to : (at ibiblio)
Full-wave center-tap rectifier: Top half of secondary winding conducts during positive half-cycle of input, delivering positive half-cycle to load..

Full-wave center-tap rectifier: During negative input half-cycle, bottom half of secondary winding conducts, delivering a positive half-cycle to the load.

Thanks for the suggestions

Unregistered

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Thank you for your further comments. I too now agree that for clarity we should emphasis the point with the text "secondary winding, referred heronin to as the secondary" (or words to that effect) at the first reference in that section. Would that seem reasonable?
Yes, I think what you and thingmaker3 are suggesting would be most reasonable.