Erratic led brightness

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
I have a 12v regulated dc supply to a lm317T regulator. Usual set-up, caps across 12v, across output, 240 ohm resistor output to adjust pin and 5k variable to ground. I put a red led and 470 ohm resistor from +12 to ground to show power on. When I adjust the voltage from the 317, at lowest voltage output the led lights bright. When I raise the voltage to +9,10 etc. the led dims. I've checked the wiring 10 times or more. Maybe I'm just brain fried, but I'm sure the led is across +12v in, which is stable. What am I doing wrong? Is something oscillating? Thanx

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
And why would the brightness increase as the 317 output voltage is lowered. I would think it would dissipate more power at the lower voltage. Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
This forum has a long history of people using LM317 regulators and connecting the pins wrong.

Most people are familiar with the 7805 type regulators that have this pinout (looking from the front);
Vin, GND, Vout

and don't realise the LM317 has a totally different pinout;

EVETS

Joined Jan 29, 2011
Sorry, guys. Sometimes you shouldn't spend too much time on something. I looked again today, and I had the cathode of the led connected to the output bus of the 317. So of course when the output voltage was lowered it got brighter. Sorry to be a bother.