Equivalent for arcotronics 16uf 450V capacitor required

RandomAccess

Joined Mar 16, 2012
Hi

Sorry I'm a newbie to this site so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I have a blown acrotronics 16uf 450V capacitor on a garden shredder (OK not your usual project) and I am trying to seek an equivalent replacement since the company does not seem to supply this any more. Not even sure they still exist although you can buy their caps through various outlets including RS, but not the one I am looking for.

There is no obvious part number for the cap all it has is the following

ARCOTRONICS
1.27.6SC3 MKP
16μf ± 5%
450 V ac

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement or equivalent and if I use an equivalent, how do I know which connectors attach where as some of the caps I have looked at appear to have four connectors?

Thanks

creakndale

Joined Mar 13, 2009
Difficult to say since we don't know it's physical dimensions or it's terminal type. A picture would help a lot. With those specs I'd guess it's a motor run capacitor?

If you put "16uf 450*" (without the quotes) into eBay search you'll find many types available.

creakndale

RandomAccess

Joined Mar 16, 2012
I'm guessing it is a motor run capacitor since it lives alongside the motor for the garden shredder. I will try and get a picture of the whole unit, since it has blown into two and I have left the top part of the cap connected to the wiring so I would know what and how to replace if I found a direct replacement. However here are a few pictures of the main body. Sorry about the quality, these are from my webcam and the focus doesn't appear to be too great!!! If you need, I will get better quality images.
As you can see, image 3 shows the top of the cap blown off.

Attachments

creakndale

Joined Mar 13, 2009
Try to get a physical height and diameter for the blown capacitor.

The C274BC35150AA2J from Surplus Sales of Nebraska might be a close match if yours is 1.75"D x 2.9"H. 15uF verses 16uF is no big deal for a motor run capacitor.
http://www.surplussales.com/capacitors/Polypropylene/Polypropylene-Motor-Start.html

As far as the connections, the stud is just for mounting the capacitor. There should be 2 wires that were connected to your capacitor terminals. You should see 2 terminals. Each terminal may have 1, 2 ,3 or 4 connection posts which is just for convenience in connecting multiple wires to the terminals. Since it's an AC capacitor it doesn't have a polarity so it doesn't matter which wire connects to which terminal.

creakndale