Equivalent(cheaper)4PDT IC to replace MC14551B

bigsanta11

Joined Feb 6, 2008
I've came a cross a UK website which is quite close to me and i just need some advice before i put my order in.

Based off the diagram below,they stock the exact same series 4551 ICs,but for cheapness ,i would prefer to bulk order some other ,cheaper Equivalent ICs ,not the tiny surface mount ones ,but any which will act act like the 4551's quad 4PDT action.Or if there is something which can do the same with just one IC that would be even better.:D

Being a new fan of electronics ,can't a logic gate/s be used instead (dl logic)?.

I was thinking of removing the SPDT switch completely and maybe just using a small SPST 6mm push button, connected to a 555 bistable which goes to the 4551.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...Discon_uk:N)&Ns=I18NPrc1_uk&N=4294611702&No=0

Attachments

Last edited:

bigsanta11

Joined Feb 6, 2008
Hello,

The MC14551 is a bi-directional analog switch.

If the switched signals are analog the 74HC157 will not work.
If the signals are digital it will work (uni-directional).

Bertus
On further investigation ,i received this bit of info.

You need a tri-state chip that can 'float', which the '157 cannot do. Basically, the '157 outputs either ON or OFF, but the system needs to be able to shut off the cart output entirely so it doesn't interfere with the rest of the console's operation.