Equivalent Capacitance of a Circuit

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Elizabeth Paredez, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Elizabeth Paredez

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I couldn't put the image on here but I did attach it. The question is, what is the equivalent capacitance of the circuit with three capacitors shown below?

The picture shows a circuit with a 3 μF capacitor on the outside in "series" and two parallel capacitors in the middle of 2 μF and 10 μF. I simplified the circuit by combining the 3 μF with the 2 μF to make it 5 μF.

To find the equivalent capacitance, I simply added them up. It is my understanding that When capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitors' capacitances. So because of this, I say the equivalent capacitance of the circuit is 15 μF
  2. syed_husain

Aug 24, 2009
    i think putting quotation mark on "series" u r implying that 5uF and 10uF either connected in series or parallel. actually, both arguments are valid. thats why u need to mention from what two points of the circuit r u looking thru? in ur case if u look thru any of the capacitor will give u 15 uF bcos all of them r parallel. but if the cct is complex from any two point will not give u same answer. c the attachment 4 more clarification.

hope this will help.