EQ ,IQ,are they mainly connatural or acquired ?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
intelligence is from birth, knowledge is from experience.

I have known people who are really smart; you can tell by talking to them, the conclusions they come to, the look in their eyes; but they don't know anything.

I have known people with alot of knowledge, who had to learn every bit of it first hand the hard way. They can't predict the outcome of a situation that they haven't already witnessed. The only reason they know not to stick their hand in rotating machinery is because they have been there, done that, and have 3 fingers to prove it.

On a related note, I have always wondered what we would be capable of if we were not taught to speak. For example if in some twisted experiment, if 2 parents raised a child never uttering a word, what would would that child's though process look like? I think in english; I mean I literally construct my thoughts in (unspoken) spoken english. Others think their languages. If you didn't have a language, could you still think just as effectively? I'm pretty sure you could learn math & how to do things if shown, but would you be able to for example, design electronic ciruits, without a language to think in?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
The "thoughts as language" experiments have been done and the conclusion is that language is not required for thought. Without language your mind can still think in terms of the sensory inputs it's used to such as sound, smell, touch, and visual imagery. Language is a sort of short hand for these sense memories that allows us to benefit from the experiences of others and to construct complex mental abstractions.

http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/papers/rolelang.htm

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Lets start with I.Q.chart,who can name the levels of I.Q. on the
scale and name each In order.Sure go to google,get the answer.
E.Q. a mirrow of the self ,go look In the mirrow and come back
with a judgement,without a degree I would be good at this take
Strantor,the statement that people don't get travel pay that
don't know there stuff.Look at his post after that,It showed I.Q.
and more.Happy looks Into the mirrow,she get the reason for
her post.Why are so many people on Off-Topic,they come to
visit Loosewire and his I.Q. E.Q. to get the link to his picture
In the Atlantic Ocean. Check In to see If Happyganl Is back
with a good post. The Forum Is thrilled with Happygannl post.
This a big ball of string,figure It out.

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
IMHO, I think IQ tests are just plain hogwash, and those that create them, delusional.

In my late teens, I had a friend of mine invite me to test for MENSA. My result was 123 and they refused me entry, quite snootily at that. I'll never forget this. This really pissed me off as none of the people I met there struck me as particularly brilliant.

I then went and practiced every IQ test I could get my hands on. I must have done hundreds of them over the next 4 or so years. I went to re-write the MENSA test in 3rd year at university and scored 187.

They were falling over themselves to get me into the club, telling me I'd be a shoo-in for the Sigma Society (or some such rubbish) and that it would be a real feather in their cap if I joined their chapter of MENSA first. It was one of the greatest pleasures in my life to refuse them with a comment like "Sorry, I'm disinclined to spend time in the presence of the intellectually challenged."

Hooo, yeah.....!

Anyway, after a 30+ year hiatus on IQ tests I recently did one at my kids prompting and scored 165. It seems I'm loosing my touch.

Am I a genius? I strongly doubt it, and if by some chance I was, I would not trust an IQ test to tell me this. In my limited mind, these quotients, and the tests for them are utterly bogus.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The whole system was forced to change,that why google don't have the old
I.Q.quota test and names.The american disablities act would not let you print too
much on very poor I.Q.'s.I don't know about the U.K. do you guys have protection
for low I.Q. people.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What's a good way to evaluate someone's smarts if not an IQ test? Can we judge by what they accomplish? The results may be skewed by motivation; I know plenty of bright people who are unmotivated, so their genious stagnates. I think IQ tests, while maybe the number itself may not represent much, are a good way to set the gifted apart. They focus on pattern recognizing mostly; predicting what comes next. That's how I think of intelligence; someone who can have a good idea what's going to happen before it happens, without necessarily having any related experience to the specific scenario is probably more intelligent than someone who has to have seen it & done it before to know what comes next.

For example, put someone in a crane who's never operated a crane before. If they get in the crane and understand immediately the way that a swinging load behaves, then they should probably be doing something a little more mentally challenging than operating a crane. The people who have to be taught an coached about it are probably the ones who will enjoy a long and happy career as a crane operator.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The Evolution of IQ: Stupidity Kills

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/2005accidents&intelligence.pdf

The Northern Ache of Eastern Paraguay provide the clearest such
living window into our subspecies’ EEA, because they are the only foraging group whose life,
before peaceful contact with the outside world, has been carefully documented.
As occurs in the USA today, fatal accidents among adult Ache males, in the forest period,
were usually associated with the trades by which men provisioned the band. Although dying
at the teeth of a lurking jaguar or snake might not seem analogous to dying while using
modern machines and tools, such deaths probably result from the same general cognitive
failures: inexperience, and lapses in monitoring the environment for signs of imminent
danger, while engrossed in one’s primary activity. For instance, most snakebites occurred
when the individual stepped on a snake while looking up into the forest canopy for arboreal
game.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Strantor you have demonstated from a post that we mistook for your
lack of the right employment,to travel pay and other highly rated post.
You have to have I.Q. to figure this out. I test your I.Q. every day.
@Nsaspook,what about the native you meet every day in your every day
life.We have enough undeveloped minds to explore.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Strantor ... I test your I.Q. every day.
That's an understatement. Trying to navigate your riddle speak hurts my brain sometimes. I would say 50% of the time you get the best of me; I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe one day I will be able to pick out your pattern and decrypt your posts effectively

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That's an understatement. Trying to navigate your riddle speak hurts my brain sometimes. I would say 50% of the time you get the best of me; I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe one day I will be able to pick out your pattern and decrypt your posts effectively
I have come to think of Loosie's posts as a form of verbal Rorschach test:D

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Welcome Strantor to the Shortbus Club they use to have S&S cafeteria's
in Washinton,D.C..I ate there once,the lady a crooss smoked with a long
cigarette holder talking Hi brow. My mind work's in one's and two's.