Eprom Content, how to interpret it?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by JuanjoGele, Jul 15, 2016.

1. JuanjoGele

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Hi guys! I want to know what is inside an eprom target. I mean I know how to read it but, how could i interpret its content? I think it is encoded or something like that.
    Regards.

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    Unless you know how it was encoded you won't be able to interpret it.
    Assuming you have the eprom contents saved as a file, you could try opening the file in Irfanview (a free download) as a HEX file or ASCII file or RAW file. You might strike lucky.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Of course, the registers are just numbers and are meaningless out of context. However, if you know something about what it was attached to, then some sense of the numbers might be possible. For example, if the eeprom was part of a real time clock module (RTC module), then the datasheet for the RTC will give a clue as to how the data in the eeprom are arranged.

John

4. JuanjoGele

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Thank you very much for your pieces of advice. I will try to download Irfanview or another reader/compiler program to look what is inside. I just want to see the parametres which are inside in an embedded system. For example: to look for parameters of a LDR or RTD sensor in a climate control.

Juanjo

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If it is code for a processor you can search for certain instruction patterns to identify the processor. I've done this a few times.

6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Standard hex editors could be of help for three things: reading the ASCII equivalent of the content, identify a pattern in the data and do some search/comparisons between sections of the data.

The more you know how it is organized the better.

7. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    It depends. It could contain data, a compiled program, a combination of data and compiled code, .... Unless you have an idea of what you're looking for, chances are you won't be able to interpret.

If it's encrypted; even less chance.

8. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    Is it a program? For what processor? A picture? Music? Graphics? Text?

9. Techno Tronix

Jan 10, 2015
    I really don't no the actual procedure but find something relative, which can help you to interpret eprom content.
    http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=53670.0