Epoxy Dispensers

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jwilk13, May 10, 2012.

1. jwilk13

Thread Starter Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Does anyone have experience with two-part epoxy dispensers? I'm using MG Chemicals thermally conductive epoxy (832TC) to encapsulate a bunch of PCBs inside small plastic enclosures, and mixing/pouring by hand has become extremely messy and time consuming. I've done some research on the internet and been able to find some companies, but I don't know any of them and was wondering if anyone could recommend someone they have used in the past.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Loctite. I used the E-60NC potting compound with Manual Dispensing Gun for 50 ml. cartridges...10 years ago.

3. jwilk13

Thread Starter Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Certainly less expensive than an automated mix-and-dispense system. I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

4. jwilk13

Thread Starter Member

Jun 15, 2011
    YIKES those 50 ml cartridges are $14 each. 450 ml of the 832TC is $36. I suppose I would prefer to use that, but the mixing/dispensing process is horrendous without some sort of equipment. Maybe there's a DIY way for me to do the mixing and dispensing without the mess?

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I just mix it on a paper plate with either a wooden Q tip or a tooth pick, occasionally a pencil. Then throw everything away (except the pencil, wipe it down and sharpen it).

Work uses the little Dr.s dispensing cups, and wooden Q-tips.

My normal material is 2Ton epoxy, it comes with 2 syringe dispensers side by side.

6. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Most of the magnum-size 2-part epoxy systems, employ a convoluted baffle/paddle inside the dispensing straw which attaches bayonet-style to the tubes.....the two parts are mixed quite thoroughly as they flow thru the tube..........

shortbus likes this.
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I suspect the straw is disposable, as the epoxy in it will harden after the use. Have a source for these?

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Try a fiberglass repair kit. The resin comes in a quart can and the hardener comes in a small plastic dropper bottle. The ratio is about 14 drops of hardener to an ounce of resin, or something like that (read the label.) You can mix as much as you want in a plastic cup and then pour it in your enclosures. It sets up in about an hour. I haven't actually used it for potting, but I have used it quite a lot for fiberglass repairs.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. jwilk13

Thread Starter Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations. I know which epoxy I want to use, I just don't know the best way to mix and dispense it. I'll keep researching and see if I can come up with a decent method that keeps my hands (and everything within a 10 yard radius) from being covered in black goop.

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010