Engineer vs. Tech

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I'm in EE school right now, and from my point of view, most of the hating on techs i see is due to the ones that go through electrical engineering technology school, and then get out and call themselves electrical engineers
There are huge differences in the schooling
both trades are good, but the schooling for tech is pointedly easier

when a someone goes to a big school like purdue and pays tons of money and works hard for 6 years to get a masters in electrical engineering, and then someone goes to a community college and gets a tech degree and goes on to be an electrican, yet calls themselves an "electrical engineer from purdue", it's understandable why sometimes engineers get pissed

-true story

ALSO
if you dress snappy and made more money as a tech than you will ever make as an engineer, why did you describe yourself as an impoverished loner in another thread, and why are you in engineering school?

ALSO ALSO
engineers know their subject because they are required to go deep into it, and there are only so many hours in a day to study. I've never heard of a tech that can design a CPU, and i don't know any engineers who could jump right into a techs job either
both are necessary

ALSO ALSO ALSO
I have a girlfriend.

Last edited:

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Oh no, not the dividing line.

From the "simulator" experience, a primitive distintiction, I'd say, is that there's more of a formal procedure involved so as to meet the end-result. I couldn't see it at first, but I do now.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
When a someone goes to a big school like purdue and pays tons of money and works hard for 6 years to get a masters in electrical engineering, and then someone goes to a community college and gets a tech degree and goes on to be an electrican, yet calls themselves an "electrical engineer from purdue", it's understandable why sometimes engineers get pissed

As far as the record goes, Tesla didn't even graduate. He was also an chief electrician at one point, so what did that make him?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
As far as the record goes, Tesla didn't even graduate. He was also an chief electrician at one point, so what did that make him?
an inventor, in a different time

i didn't intend for my earlier post to sound so serious/aggravated
I have nothing against techs, it's a perfectly legitimate profession that requires schooling and isn't too far removed from engineering

i just have a problem with them saying they're engineers
I have a problem with techs saying they're engineers
I have a problem with computer science majors saying they're computer engineers
I have a problem with janitors saying they're sanitation engineers

yes, it's just a piece of paper, but it's also a piece of paper people work very hard for

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
an inventor, in a different time

i didn't intend for my earlier post to sound so serious/aggravated
I have nothing against techs, it's a perfectly legitimate profession that requires schooling and isn't too far removed from engineering

i just have a problem with them saying they're engineers
I have a problem with techs saying they're engineers
I have a problem with computer science majors saying they're computer engineers
I have a problem with janitors saying they're sanitation engineers

yes, it's just a piece of paper, but it's also a piece of paper people work very hard for
I once had a tech in the military tell me I was dumb for paying for a degree, when she got paid to learn the same things I did. Apparently, all EE is, according to this person's skill set is determining resistor color bands and soldering them together...I asked what an inductor was and was met with a blank stare....

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ 12, After getting a dressing down,I go out into the business world today.

I am met with where have you been,we have been trying to reach you( I don't

answer my phone for days sometimes) we like your Idea and proposal,are

you still willing to get invovled . Sure,well here is the all acess code let

me know how we should proceed. So after having a self made discussion

I am confronted with a selling your self deal. Do I deserve that,I think so.

You have to be ready to take advanage of deals when they happen,by the

way this a national company,right place right time. No resume,an Invitation.

Some of the engineers didn't see my post of being part of a team that had

the best computer equipment and tech on call 24/7 and sign out of the best

best equipment. I do what I want to do,I keep busy,a lot with sports always

looking for some thing new,even if its diving into the ocean to preform a

memorial service. Open to new things,you should only wish to have my

goals in life,some come true....some just happens to me still.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'm a new face around here , it amazing......if I need to come up with some quick

reply...I'm going to say....you didn't hear,Undercover Boss is going to be filming

here do you want to be part of it.