Engine sound can heard in speaker

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Lanz, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Lanz

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 30, 2008
    When I ON my audio player in my car with engine running..there are some extra sound coming from the speaker.
    I found that the sound is produced from the engine because i can hear engine sound in the speaker.
    Before this everything was normal...it just suddenly nowadays i hear those sounds.
    Isit because of poor grounding or something else.
    I know that alternator could be the reason.
    How to solve this problem?
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    sounds like you have a ground loop issue, maybe a ground loop isolator for the receiver in you car will clean this "engine noise" from your audio....

what you actually hear is the alternator whine, when you rev the engine, does the sound also get louder?

B. Morse
  3. Tate

Mar 8, 2010
  4. Lanz

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 30, 2008

Yes,its an old car.
    Nop,I didnt do anything to the ignition system
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Your audio player most likely has aluminum electrolytic capacitors that have gone bad in the power filter section.

If you wish to fix the problem, you will need to replace some or all of the aluminum electrolytic capacitors in the audio player. Replacing one or two may "get you by" for the next month or two, but if one or two have failed already, it is likely that the rest will fail soon.

Take inventory of all of the aluminum electrolytic capacitors in your audio system. They are not hard to recognize; they usually have shiny silver-like tops with "Y" or "X" patterns in them, so that when they go bad they don't explode; merely spew their guts.

Notes to take:
    1) Capacitance value
    2) Voltage rating
    3) Temperature rating (if not 105°, then make that a minimum requirement)
    4) Type (radial [both leads come out of one end of the cylinder] or axial [one lead each end[)
    5) Overall dimensions (diameter, length, and lead spacing if radial)
    6) Reference designator (like C11, C222, etc) - without the reference designator, you will have one heck of a time trying to figure out what goes where.

Order a complete set of replacement capacitors from a high-volume authorized distributor. I do not know what distributors you have available in Malaysia, but you might see what RS Components or Farnell UK has to offer, if you have no other ideas.

I suggest that you do NOT use E-bay or other online auction sites. Aluminum electrolytic capacitors have a "shelf life". Auction sites sell "new old stock" that will have you back right where you are now in a week.
    PackratKing likes this.
  6. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    Aluminim electrolytic caps have a liquid in them, and as every plumber knows, anything that is in water long enough turns to...what kind of load was that?
  7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I thought plumbers only had to know three things.

1) Poop flows down hill
    2) Payday is Friday
    3) Don't bite your fingernails
  8. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    You're right, but I met a plumber once and he said, "Don't bite your fingernails" was the first rule.

I must admit I exaggerated on this one. It was I who figured out what happens to anything that spends enough time in water. Apologies. :(