Encoder TTL Signal Modification

therealkilkenny

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Hi Guys and Gals,

I've got a couple of encoders that output various types of signals and i've got some ultrasonic kit that reads in encoder signals. The problem is that they are different and i need to make something that will interface between the two. BTW i'm an electronics newbie.

My ultrasonic hardware is looking for an A and B channel in order to count (if A is before B then clockwise and vice a versa). The problem is that my encoder only outputs an A signal and therefor i need to create a B. Normally A and B are 90 degrees out of phase with each other but i have discovered that if i delay A by 500nS then it will do as a 'B'. I found some chips on the internet that were 500nS delay lines and got these.

The signal from my encoder is also upside down - high-low-high. I need to make this low-high-low. I found some NOT gates on the internet that would do this.

I also want to double the frequency of my signal. I found some XOR gates on the internet and got these. I can feed the A and B into this to create A' that is double the frequency. I can then run this through a delay line to give B' and thus double the frequency of the encoder.

The pictures below show the assembled device with a couple of screen shots of the output signals.

Now it kind of works, but as you can see there are glitches in the signals and ringing which cause the ultrasonic hardware to count in multiples (2/4/8 etc) because the timer on the ultrasonic hardware is very sensitive.

What i want to know is, how do i fix this? Are there any products on the market that might do all this for me? Would anyone be interested in designing this for me a bit better on a paid basis?

Thanks,

Phil

therealkilkenny

Joined Apr 14, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately i cannot do ANYTHING about the ultrasonic hardware or the encoders, so i have to find some other way of doing it.

Phil