Employment Requirement

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loosewire, Oct 3, 2008.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I don't see most of the employed members of this forum doing
    any soldering at there work place ? The past don't count.
    Data related only, please don't take the wrong way.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Used to, but not currently. Maintenance work requires slinging a little solder.

Nowdays I use a little heat (150 C) and ultrasonics to weld gold to aluminum or gold pads on chip die.

3. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Bill,Tried to reach you on pm ,would not go thru.Bill,I know you do a lot soldering,I am trying to get data how on many members that don't have to solder in there jobs today. How has industry changed to a replacement mode. Looking for input on data.Thanks for your communication.
    I was trying to keep it short,because some members don't like my long
    post and I don't get my point across .

4. chrissyp

Aug 25, 2008
    Hi
    In my job I do a lot of soldering.Building prototype pcb's,interconnect cables and pcb to panel mount sockets.I think it is still the best way to test out new systems.Although once the system is moved to production,soldering is not often used by us(usually sub contracted).
    If you are asking if hand soldering is a dying art then in development the answer is definitely NO.Hands on work cannot be replaced in prototyping and maintainance.

5. silvrstring

Mar 27, 2008
    Yesterday, I soldered an iPod's battery wires back in place. A few days ago, I soldered the parts together for an AVR. Besides those, I haven't soldered much for a couple of months. Desoldered some parts, though. For school and pleasure, not employment.

6. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Crissy,good reply,It says in common terms what and how the chain
    of events take place.Maybe some one with contractor info can reply.
    proto to use and steps to operation.Maybe the blanks can be filled in for students that are starting at entry level.Like how many members are working on something that they won't what the end product will be.
    Do you think if we have any members that will -------- to having the
    whole apple?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  7. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Thanks,the thread is starting to move.

8. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    I solder all of what I design as a prototype, unless there are BGAs. Eventhough it is probably just as cost-effective to have our boards assembled professionally..

Steve

9. chrissyp

Aug 25, 2008
    Hi
    Once a system is designed ,it is handed to the support engineers ( me ) to build, test and ensure it conforms to the design intent. If it does, I will pass the design to production for production costing review.This will usually end with production stating that it is too expensive to produce in house and a sub-contractor(usually Asian )will be contracted to manufacture the pcb's,wiring looms etc.If it does not conform to design intent, I will modify and document all changes , then pass to production. Unfortunately due to rising production costs in the UK the product will be manufactured in the far east.So design ,component and pcb layout are designed in house and the mass production will be carried out offshore.

10. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Good work,I am sure a lot of students are reading details for the first
    time.You have really added a prospective to keep the thread
    moving in right direction.Thanks again,looking forward to
    future input.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  11. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I very occasionally solder AV jacks together. Maybe a dozen at a time every five or six years.