Emitter follower example from Art of Electronics

sjgallagher2

Joined Feb 6, 2013
Creating a split supply in a simulator is simple. Those power sources you show in the simulator are AC supplies putting out 10V. For starters, you only need of those. Then you need two 10V DC supplies. Connect them together to make 20V (i.e. in series) then put ground in the middle of them. The top will be +10V, and the bottom will be -10V, with ground in the middle. Here's a quick schematic of the entire circuit, nothing left out:
upload_2015-12-22_21-43-52.png

The wavy signal symbol in this schematic is an AC signal input, the other two sources are DC, and you can see that ground (0v, the upside down triangles) is between them. This is how split supplies are done! It's all about reference. I'm sure that if you simulate this as shown, the circuit will work.

In fact, I've done it myself, and have found:
upload_2015-12-22_21-46-13.png

It totally works! I hope you have a nice time investigating the circuit. It's a real crash course on "references" and what positive and negative voltage really mean.
Sam Gallagher

John544

Joined Dec 22, 2015
image.png Got it, thanks so much Sam! Art of Electronics often assumes knowledge on the part of the reader that I don't possess, but once I finally figure out what they're talking about, (with the help of experts like you) I've learned a lot.