EMI Generator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Nuyashaki, May 13, 2009.

1. Nuyashaki

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2009
    I'm sorta new to electronics and need some help. I'm trying to make an EMI generator using inductive kickback and am making it in a simulator first, but I'm getting very high amperes from a short circuit (maxing out at about 800A). When I use a resistor to stop the short circuit, the inductive kickback drops below 1kV. I'm using a step down transformer (1:.1 ratio plugged into a 120v 60 Hz A/C plug) as the inductor. I think I'm going about this the wrong way; can someone help me out? I haven't tried it in actuallity yet because last time I tried to fix a short circuit I burned my finger on a resistor.
  2. Darren Holdstock

Feb 10, 2009
    Probably best to stick to the simulations - an EMC generator is a serious bit of kit, and the voltages can be lethal. If you want a source of radiated EMI then wrapping the mains lead of an electric drill around your DUT is crude but effective. The old Weller TCP soldering stations also generated plenty of noise if you sparked the on/off switch.

As for the simulations, you're probably getting huge currents because the inductor/transformer model is a bit too close to ideal. You need the stray Rs, Cs and BH curve of the inductor start to get closer to reality.