Embedded Systems Help

E-MotionRichard

Joined Aug 26, 2014
Well, The reason for this post is to try and get some preparation ahead of time for my next and final term in my Bachelors program. One of my final classes, besides my Capstone Project, is Embedded Systems. Class starts on September 15, and I want to get a head start to try to pull my grades back up. I had a 3.7 GPA, until my last couple of terms, when some personal matters caused me to fall behind and get some not so good grades in a couple classes that I should have done much better in. So, any pointers on what to expect, and preparation for an Embedded Systems class would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Richard

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Which kind of embedded systems? Do you have a course description? Will you be using FPGAs? Microcontrollers? Both?

There are many avenues the course could take...

cl10Greg

Joined Jan 28, 2010
Start reading through microcontroller datasheets and get a list of questions and vocabulary going. Such as, How do I do a PWM? What is the clock speed? How do I set the clock speed? Then start working through the answers.

E-MotionRichard

Joined Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for your suggestions. The course description does not say a whole lot, just "emphasis on effective programming, interfacing, and implementing a microcontroller. Greg, I will do what you said though about reading through microcontroller datasheets and getting list of questions and vocabulary going.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for your suggestions. The course description does not say a whole lot, just "emphasis on effective programming, interfacing, and implementing a microcontroller. Greg, I will do what you said though about reading through microcontroller datasheets and getting list of questions and vocabulary going.
Given the description provided, I'd second what cl10Greg suggested.

Find out which part(s) your department uses (e.g. PIC18F4322, ATMEGA328, MSP430x, etc.) and look at the relevant datasheets, noting the different hardware modules associated with the part.

Once you know what the modules are, look up what they mean/do and how to use them.

Buy the part and programmer. Breadboard a circuit and test the functions of the device. Make sure to keep your code.

Edit: I'd recommend paying particular attention to the SPI, ADC, and PWM capabilities of the device.