Embedded Systems and Control Theory?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by kdar1987, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kdar1987

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I am planning to do my Master's with concentration on Embedded and Real Time Systems (Computer Engineering). However, I am also highly interested in Control Theory, on which I took introduction class during my bachelor studies (in Electrical Engineering).

Now... Those two seem to be related, at least to me...... One can contribute to another... But I don't think there are any Applied Control Theory course at my University for Computer Engineering majors.

Does anyone know if there are any good books which relate those two concentrations together?

Do you think I could ask my advisors to take Control Theory courses as a substitute for my math minor?

2. guitarguy12387

Apr 10, 2008
    My school had a class called 'embedded control' for undergrads. A quick search on amazon.com will reveal some good books.

IMHO, if you have a good grasp on both of these subjects, putting them together wouldn't be TOO hard. Granted, with a good book, it would be much easier. I'd be interested in a class or two on embedded control.

I don't really know what that means haha. If you have to take math courses, take linear systems, linear algebra, diff eqs, dynamical systems, non-linear systems. Stuff like that. Won't help you on the embedded side, but it will be great for the control side. Also, an intro to DSP class wouldn't hurt... introduce you to the family of discrete fourier/z transforms, which would be helpful. Will also give you some perspective into Kalman and other adaptive filters which are often used in control systems

That's my $0.02