Embedded system conception

lavoie23

Joined Aug 13, 2009
Hi everyone,
First post! I have a crucial decision to take regarding the design of an embedded computer. The system itself is a portable medical device used in pneumology. At this time, there is already a fully functionnal prototype. However, for the next versions, the embedded computer must be changed and re-designed.

The beast: A Rabbitcore RCM3900 (http://www.rabbit.com/products/rcm3900/)

The system integrates:
- Oxygen valve, RS-232
- O2 sensor, RS-232
- EtCO2 sensor, RS-232 or TTL
- LCD screen, 20x4 char
- SDCard Interface
- USB and Bluetooth interface (communication with an extern computer)

The principal contraints regarding the conception/choice of an embedded computer:
- Low power consumption (it's a portable device)
- Acceptable design complexity (hardware and software)

I don't have a very long experience in electronic design, and I really need help on this one! Your ideas would be very appreciated!
Jonathan

lavoie23

Joined Aug 13, 2009
The main reason why the rabbitcore has been chosen is by its simplicity. What's happening now is that the main program cannot be larger than it is currently (it's taking all the memory available). Consequently, we have trouble expanding it. Also, we are making a lot of calculations onboard, enough to see the limitations of the rabbit... In other word, I'm seeking something that could be a little more powerfull. Finally, even if this reason is not crucial, there are some feature that we really don't need (ex: Ethernet port), and others that we would need (ex: ADC converter).

I made some research on some microcontrollers that I could probably use. The problem with a lot of them is that I need at least 4-5 independant serial interfaces (two for the sensors, one for the valve, one for the extern communication, and possibly one another for a SDCard interface).

Thank you for your help!
Jonathan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi everyone,
First post! I have a crucial decision to take regarding the design of an embedded computer. The system itself is a portable medical device used in pneumology. At this time, there is already a fully functionnal prototype. However, for the next versions, the embedded computer must be changed and re-designed.

The beast: A Rabbitcore RCM3900 (http://www.rabbit.com/products/rcm3900/)

The system integrates:
- Oxygen valve, RS-232
- O2 sensor, RS-232
- EtCO2 sensor, RS-232 or TTL
- LCD screen, 20x4 char
- SDCard Interface
- USB and Bluetooth interface (communication with an extern computer)

The principal contraints regarding the conception/choice of an embedded computer:
- Low power consumption (it's a portable device)
- Acceptable design complexity (hardware and software)

I don't have a very long experience in electronic design, and I really need help on this one! Your ideas would be very appreciated!
Jonathan
I do this kind of stuff for a living, and I'll be happy to help for a suitable inducement.