Embedded Linux - beagle bone

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bug13, May 12, 2014.

1. bug13

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi guys

What's your thought of using beagle bone black to learn embedded Linux?

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    What is it that you want to learn? Does the Beagle Bone come with Linux installed? Do you want to learn how to build and install Linux, or just to write applications?

3. bug13

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    - Yes, I think Beagle Bone come with Linux, but I think user need to install it, it's not pre-installed

Ideally, I want to be able to built my own hardware, like how ram, processor and storage devie put together. Then I would like to be able to use open source bootloader and built and install linux on it. (eg u-boot and OpenEmbedded etc.)

And then I want to be able to write a driver, and application.

Saying that, I am not intend to become an expert and know every single details. I just need to able to do these.

I am also not intend to make my own beagle bone or anything, I just want to be able to build a basic/simple system with all these elements.

Do I make sense? or have I lose you already?

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Though I'm not a Linux expert, you'll need to work harder to lose me :)

For installing and using Linux, the BB should be a good choice, and there are other good choices, like the RPI. It's a good first step on the way for doing some of the other things you mentioned. As I understand it, (I don't have direct experience with what I'm about to write) the real 'magic' of software engineering is being to select and use correct Linux packages and tool chains for a variety of projects. Often it's a 'trial and error' process.

But, as an introduction to embedded Linux, I think you're on the right path.

bug13 likes this.
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    bug13 likes this.
  6. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    My BeagleBone Black (Rev A5A - Rev C is current) came with Angstrom linux installed - connect USB keyboard, HDMI display, Ethernet and power and it boots right up to a GUI, ready to surf. I'm told Angstrom linux is not everyone's favorite distro but haven't messed with it enough to know.

beagleboard.org for the latest info.

Its an amazing little computer at any rate.

bug13 likes this.