Embedded Design Project Ideas

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Well, I know the thread title is a little ambiguous and uncertain but that is kind of my state now.

The thing is that I have just started out with embedded controllers and have completed just some very basic stuff like PWM, UART and stuff and am yet to complete a full-fledged project at the moment although I do have some of them planned like PID Motor Control, some simple bots and a vending machine prototype.

I am quite interested in this stuff and wish to spend my next summer working on an embedded design project. But here is the catch: most major international internship programs (and national too, for that matter) require application submissions sometime between August to November (or December).

Since I have not been in the said field for a considerable time I have very few project ideas (and even fewer which can justify a 8-10 week internship period). Also as I haven't accomplished a lot at the moment, it is a little difficult for me to demonstrate (they require a CV) my interest in the subject before the app submission time runs out.

Can anyone provide some suggestions as to how I should go about doing this?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Almost every electronic product you see on the market today has at least one microcontroller embedded in it. You can pick something common and simple, like a coffer maker, or something rare and more complex, like a wireless position, environment and biological data logger for attaching to an animal. Or something in between like a Simon toy. The world is your oyster here. Pick something you think you can tackle and that will meet the requirements, and get started.

ActivePower

Joined Mar 15, 2012
I actually found a very interesting project about a free-form wireless mouse using accelerometers and serial inputs. Although not original, it is quite appealing and looks awesome as a product! Plus I have always wanted to work with accelerometers and gyros (although I know they can be a pretty tough nut to crack ;) ).

The thing is, would anyone like to accept a project proposal without any considerable prior experience with projects of similar scale? I'll try anyways.

Thanks! :)