embdded system project

esraa.farraj

Joined Nov 25, 2012
hi ,,,, i have an project on pic16f877A
1- When the system is first powered on or is reset, the LCD display should show the
following message “System is ready”. The message should be centered on the LCD display.
2- Using the Docklight communications program (or any other suitable one) from the PC, the
Command “R” is typed. The embedded system when it receives AND verifies the message,
will read the current temperature and displays its value on the LCD display. The message
should be “Temperature = XX”, Where XX is the temperature in degree Celsius. The previous
message should be cleared. ALSO, the system should send THE SAME message back to the
PC using the serial port. The hyper terminal should therefore show this received message
containing the temperature value. Note that the temperature should be displayed in degree
Celsius also.
3- Every time the “R” command from the PC is sent to the system, it should repeat the actions
identified in step 2.
4- If an incorrect command is sent, the system should send back the message “Incorrect
Command” and goes back to waiting for a correct command.

can any one help me

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What work have you done so far? Where is your schematic? Where is your code?
What part of the project are you having trouble?

esraa.farraj

Joined Nov 25, 2012
i havent done any thing ,,, because i have this project today ,, i dont know from where i should start ,,,, am just astudent and i didnt know so much about the pic

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The first step is to read the requirements and make a note whenever you see something that needs some hardware is required. Here I've bolded every place I see some hardware mentioned:

hi ,,,, i have an project on pic16f877A
1- When the system is first powered on or is reset, the LCD display should show the
following message “System is ready”. The message should be centered on the LCD display.
2- Using the Docklight communications program (or any other suitable one) from the PC, the
Command “R” is typed. The embedded system when it receives AND verifies the message,
will read the current temperature and displays its value on the LCD display. The message
should be “Temperature = XX”, Where XX is the temperature in degree Celsius. The previous
message should be cleared. ALSO, the system should send THE SAME message back to the
PC using the serial port.
The hyper terminal should therefore show this received message
containing the temperature value. Note that the temperature should be displayed in degree
Celsius also.
3- Every time the “R” command from the PC is sent to the system, it should repeat the actions
identified in step 2.
4- If an incorrect command is sent, the system should send back the message “Incorrect
Command” and goes back to waiting for a correct command.
LCD display: suggests something like a hitachi LCD display These take a few I/O lines from the PIC, min of 6, or 7, max of 11. They can be a bit of a bear as they don't do anything till you set them up correctly, but then they are great things to have.

Docklight communications program: This is a serial port program so you'll need an RS-232 converter chip to drive the serial RX pin of the PIC.

read the current temperature: You will need some sort of temperature device. Has anything been mentioned in class on this?

send THE SAME message back to the PC using the serial port: The other half of the RS-232 converter chip can run this from the TX pin of the PIC.

RS-232 will also need something like a DB9 connector properly wired, and a serial cable from your project to the PC.

There's an outline, now holla back with what you think you know and what you think need to know.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
i havent done any thing ,,, because i have this project today ,, i dont know from where i should start ,,,, am just astudent and i didnt know so much about the pic
Sounds like you did not pay attention in class.

If you know nothing about the Pic (which I find hard to believe you did not get lessons for such a complicated project) then I suggest you start learning about the pic.

Here is one of many tutorials on the subject:

http://www.mikroe.com/products/view/285/book-pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-c/

I suggest you put down the game boy and start studying. There are many more tutorials out there. I suggest you do some searching.

Forget about your project for now. If you know nothing about the pic then you need to learn that first. Start with a small project like simply turning on an LED then learn about using switches.

Ernie laid out some good guidelines for you. When you are ready you can move on to them and start your project.