Eliza

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Is anyone familiar with this program! It's birth was in the 60s and could be run from Arpanet. It purported to be a therapist and would respond to your statements and questions in that manner. It was an early artificial intelligence program developed to pass the Turing test. Initially, it can appear to be a human but careful selection of your responses revealed its origins.

I've found the source code, written in an old BASIC dialect. I am converting it to FreeBASIC, a C-like dialect.

I'll share my trials and trials.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
That program was by Joseph Weizenbaum, but he was an AI skeptic and wrote it to show how easily simple tricks could fool people into thinking that the machine was intelligent. Back in the 1960s this was much easier to do, as nobody had much experience of dealing with automatic machines.

I can remember one little sample. You'd say, "My mom liked my brother better than me", and the computer would respond, "That's very interesting. Tell me more about your family". And you'd be impressed because the machine had made the link between named family members and the word "family", but it was just a canned response with zero depth behind it. Then if the conversation wandered, a few lines later it might toss "We were talking about your brother" at you. So the machine had showed it had a memory and you might think it had a purpose in directing the conversation. Or you'd swear at it, and it would come back with "Are such obscenities frequently on your mind?" Again, associating an item on a list of words with a larger category. Supposedly Weizenbaum ended up feeling quite disappointed by how easily people were fooled.