Elevator (passenger lift) call collective.

DMahalko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
From what I can determine, early electromechanical relays had a huge number of switching contacts because cheap long-life diodes didn't exist at first.

So for each function you have a separate set of contacts because otherwise power could backfeed through combined-purpose contacts and do unwanted things.

Using modern solid state diodes you can likely use a single-pole relay, with a diode for each output control function of the relay, to prevent signal backfeed.

I don't know much about elevators but I see the early electromechanical Otis elevators had a special spiral rotary encoder switching doodad called a pie-plate selector, with a series of switch contacts pressed in order by large rotating cams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgZrdGtEw3E

Here's a rather excitingly technical PDF from a company that sells rebuild parts for the Otis pie-plate selector, including upgrades to go from mechanical switches to more reliable optical encoders.

www.unitecparts.com/pdf/Unitec_Selectors_Catalog.pdf

Jeffnars

Joined Sep 9, 2012
I haven't seen a pie plate selector before but I've seen many of other variations. It turns out I don't think I'm going to be able to re design a floor selector. There for making a relay 3 floor passenger lift might prove difficult. Therefore I'm going to have to move away from a 3 floor to a 2 floor where a floor selector isn't required.

There's a previous video in this thread of a guy that's built a 2 floor 2 speed controller. Any tips. I can build a single speed 2 floor lift but would rather a 2 speed :)