Electronics without doing the math.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Just a thought for those noobs or rough at math. How about a series of Microsoft Excel files that do the calculations for you? Being a retired electronics (technology, not engineering) instructor I have a lot of Excel files that went with the school courses that can be modified. You need Microsoft Excel.
Basic electronics. Op Amp circuits. Voltage regulator circuits. Things like that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most of those calculators can be found on the WEB with a Google search.
But I'm not a big fan of canned formulas. You end up with little understanding of the circuits.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ditto crutschow's comment. Even though I understand where the canned formulas come from and can even derive many or most of them, I would feel very uncomfortable using them without first verifying how they can be applied. A spreadsheet can be both a handy reminder and a quick way to get the formula implemented, but it should supplement one's knowledge, not replace it.

Here's one that we saw go by here some time ago.

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Ditto crutschow's comment. Even though I understand where the canned formulas come from and can even derive many or most of them, I would feel very uncomfortable using them without first verifying how they can be applied. A spreadsheet can be both a handy reminder and a quick way to get the formula implemented, but it should supplement one's knowledge, not replace it.

Here's one that we saw go by here some time ago.
Oh, very nice!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I do a lot of work with formulas in excel to simulate my circuits. But I write the formulas myself every time so they match what I am doing 100%

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Same here. I used them in the classroom often. When we covered an IC, like the LM317, we included using Excel to help in the design. Both to help follow a current design and create their own designs.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Same here. I used them in the classroom often. When we covered an IC, like the LM317, we included using Excel to help in the design. Both to help follow a current design and create their own designs.
I'm lazy as well. I catch myself just changing values in Spice until I get the right voltage rather than getting the calculator.:oops:

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
this is interesting. im not good at math at all and i agree with what people are saying that a calculator shouldnt replace knowledge. the problem i have is learning about electronics and maths and then trying to analyse something. could there be a worksheet on using excel in the manner hp1729 mentioned, using it to help design a circuit. there is a thread about simulation software, the reason i dont use ltspice is because i dont understand all the parameters. so creating a basic circuit could be difficult because it is asking for things that i dont know about and seem more complex than what i require at the time. whereas multisim (keep the booing to a minimum please, i am a beginner!) is very quick in comparison. this is my experience of multisim and ltspice however.

thanks
simon

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
this is interesting. im not good at math at all and i agree with what people are saying that a calculator shouldnt replace knowledge. the problem i have is learning about electronics and maths and then trying to analyse something. could there be a worksheet on using excel in the manner hp1729 mentioned, using it to help design a circuit. there is a thread about simulation software, the reason i dont use ltspice is because i dont understand all the parameters. so creating a basic circuit could be difficult because it is asking for things that i dont know about and seem more complex than what i require at the time. whereas multisim (keep the booing to a minimum please, i am a beginner!) is very quick in comparison. this is my experience of multisim and ltspice however.

thanks
simon
You and very many others. Electronics can be appreciated and enjoyed without engineering. Don't get me wrong. Engineering is where the magic and genius is, for certain.