Electronics Tips / Posting on Instructables

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by russ_hensel, Jan 9, 2014.

1. russ_hensel

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    ;)I have been unimpressed with most of the stuff on instructables (it is crap!).

Are you encouraging us to help improve that site? :confused:

3. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Most of it is crap ( and sadly many of the questions here are too ) but it is widely read, and like here many of the people are trying.

It is a very open site and there will always be stuff that is almost sad:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-Fading-Light-Circuit/

I think if you have a project that is good posting there might help some people out, but the site there will still have most of its current character.

If you do have something ( a project ) good a lot of people may read it, it is not a place for discussion.

So I am encouraging post crossing of good material, not the you/we fix it.

Russ

4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    There are lots of instructables that are just wrong, and for that reason, I seldom read them. I did read most of the one you linked to, and found it helpful. I also saw that you have more there. May I know why you post there? Is it just your purpose to be helpful, or is there some other benefit? Thanks.

5. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Just helpful. Well I would like to promote the electronics...... hobby.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Generally a very good set of tips for someone starting out. I use several of them myself.

Just one question: how come your resistors still have those funny wires coming out the ends? Mine are all little black rectangles that need no wires. ;-)

7. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I hear but that was kind of harsh because some sites don't even answer stupid questions .. Or they tell u to **** off or google it or search the forum and find it urself with a crappy forum search program... Personal I am a noobie and some of that scares me that people post and realize how unsafe and plain dangerous it it on Instructables ... I love AAC and plan on staying for a really long time ... Also if you want to help instuctables out thats fine but atleast promote AAC too .....

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Instructables has some pretty awful stuff. It also has some pretty awesome stuff. It becomes obvious once you read a couple of 'ibles on the same subject. My most frustrating are the LED 'ibles which usually get the current resistor wrong or wiring LEDs in parallel wrong.

Disclosure: I had my Instructables featured and picked up by Hack-A-Day.

9. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009

I saw that and said to myself "oh no not more ping pong ball eyes"

Actually I saw them and thought "what a good idea and nicely executed" someday perhaps I will get pickuped by hack a day. Not holding my breath.