Electronics question for a model

RichardJay

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Hi, I have very little knowledge when it comes to electronics and I hope this will be a very easy question for somebody to answer:confused:

I have been working on a model boat and simple things like running a small motor on reduced voltage is great for the radar to spin round - that much I can do.

The next thing is to take a metal rod with a person on it (on lookout!) and have him rotate so far, pause and then rotate, pause and start again. I think I'm right in saying a motor will turn him one way and reversing the polarity will make him rotate him the other way - my problem is getting the polarity to switch say every 2-3 seconds and if possible with a small pause of no power before doing so.

Is this something that would be easy to do? I don't have a lot of space for the electronics but should have enough (the compartment for these components is about 10cm x 10cm x 7cm and waterproof).

I'd appreciate any help or ideas but please explain everything in simple terms for me (model boats I can do - this I can't!). I've read a lot about some of the things that sound like what I need without actually doing it exactly - I think somebody had a similar problem solved using a relay (not sure what that is mind) but it required manual input to switch it. I need to turn on and leave.

Cheers

Richard

RichardJay

Joined Aug 7, 2011
Praondevou, there is 3v, 6v and 9v available on this model. I can use any of these power sources for this.

Kermit2, thanks - I guess it doesn't have to be electronics - this would work just aswell. It might be a squeeze to get those components into the space available though??