Electronics practical questions

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So what are you expecting us to do with a 14 page student manual?

Where to start? How about: "Step 1: Connect the analog trainer to the power supply and the power supply to the Main."?

If you are "new into Electrical Engineering", then you shouldn't be taking this course. People that are new to Electrical Engineering should be learning fundamentals such as DC circuit analysis techniques involving purely resistive circuits, plus AC analysis techniques, plus a slew of other things before they start working with transistor amplifier circuits. So drop this class and take the introductory circuits class (or it's prerequisite courses if you haven't already taken -- and understood -- them).

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You guys don't understand....

He passed the intro courses getting answers from the internet, now he just needs a little help getting his bearings

In a few more years we can assist him (just a little) in performing his job. The company that hires him doesn't know how lucky it is.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In a few more years we can assist him (just a little) in performing his job. The company that hires him doesn't know how lucky it is.
Oh the irony. A laid off western engineer assisting their replacement on an internet forum about how to do the job.

Coefficient

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Oh the irony. A laid off western engineer assisting their replacement on an internet forum about how to do the job.
i am student....and this home work was given to us individually,if it was a group thing......a combination of good heads would do.

i am not asking for everything but a little idea of what i would do will go a long way....and i don`t know if i am getting right or wrong,i have been so busy trying to understand the whole thing with the calculations and graphical solutions involved but all to no avail.

i believe with some learned individuals here.......i will grow to help people in electronics stuff someday.

much Regards

So what are you expecting us to do with a 14 page student manual?

Where to start? How about: "Step 1: Connect the analog trainer to the power supply and the power supply to the Main."?

If you are "new into Electrical Engineering", then you shouldn't be taking this course. People that are new to Electrical Engineering should be learning fundamentals such as DC circuit analysis techniques involving purely resistive circuits, plus AC analysis techniques, plus a slew of other things before they start working with transistor amplifier circuits. So drop this class and take the introductory circuits class (or it's prerequisite courses if you haven't already taken -- and understood -- them).
Dear Sir,

i have done dc circuit analysis but there was no hands on practicals like this one.......i am not asking for everything,just some ideas of how i can go about this....i believe i will understand.

thank you

You guys don't understand....

He passed the intro courses getting answers from the internet, now he just needs a little help getting his bearings

Dear Sir,

i am a student.........i am beginner so to say

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I understand you are a student. What textbook did you use in the course?

The point is you just might have to crack open that book to research the stated objective in each exercise to refresh your knowledge of the subject.

The members are here to help you along. In order for us to help ... we need to see some work.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It's a lab manual which means that the work is to be done in a lab with real components and real test equipment. Do you have access to such a lab? Or do you have access to the Livewire simulation software mentioned in the manual?

Coefficient

Joined Sep 5, 2012
I understand you are a student. What textbook did you use in the course?

The point is you just might have to crack open that book to research the stated objective in each exercise to refresh your knowledge of the subject.

The members are here to help you along. In order for us to help ... we need to see some work.

there was no recommended textbook for us,..all we do is download eBooks on the internet and read.

I have Electrical Technology textbook by terajah

yes...I have Livewire software in my Laptop and I can use it well.....my problem is in measuring....VB,VCC,VBE,VCE and other things involved

It's a lab manual which means that the work is to be done in a lab with real components and real test equipment. Do you have access to such a lab? Or do you have access to the Livewire simulation software mentioned in the manual?
I have the software sir..…please guide me

Last edited by a moderator:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The instructions in the lab manual seem rather plainly written step by step. I don't know what I could add; do you know how to measure voltage in the Livewire software?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
This is the time for you to TRY.

Something. Anything.

Make a mistake. Make another and another.
You WILL learn when you do something wrong. Do not fear failure.

You learn lots of lessons by trying and failing. The person who does something perfectly the first time has learned nothing. He was not challenged to grow beyond what he already knew.

TRY. You WILL fail. You will try again. You will learn things, and THEN you will succeed.

Coefficient

Joined Sep 5, 2012
The instructions in the lab manual seem rather plainly written step by step. I don't know what I could add; do you know how to measure voltage in the Livewire software?
yes ..........i know how to measure voltage using the voltmeter tool in the software.

in the procedure 1.1......;

Measure VB, VC, VCE and VE.
Step 5: Calculate IC: Use the formula below IC =VCC-VC/RC = 12−VC/100
Step 6: Plot the operating line and the operating point on the sketch above. Use the following h parameter values for your calculations: hfe = 100, hie = 2K, hoe 1 = 40K

Now, to measure VB.........using the livewire software,do i have to connect the voltmeter between the base of the transistor and the Vcc or to the ground........or what`s the best way of doing this?.

To measure Vce,do i have to connect the voltmeter between the collector and emitter pin of the transistor? or what`s the best way of doing it?

in the STEP 6 above,i don`t really understand this one...........any explanation or demonstration is appreciated.

From figure 1.2 to experiment 3 is something i have been trying to assimilate without success.

Last edited:

Coefficient

Joined Sep 5, 2012
This is the time for you to TRY.

Something. Anything.

Make a mistake. Make another and another.
You WILL learn when you do something wrong. Do not fear failure.

You learn lots of lessons by trying and failing. The person who does something perfectly the first time has learned nothing. He was not challenged to grow beyond what he already knew.
TRY. You WILL fail. You will try again. You will learn things, and THEN you will succeed.
thank you.

In the manual,Experiment 2 and 3 seem too difficult to me,i have read about transistors but have not done this version of practical on it before.

Please tutor me on this one,so i can learn and also impart them on others.

Regards

Last edited:

Coefficient

Joined Sep 5, 2012
Then why do you keep saying that you need someone to tell you where to start?

Okay, so you have completed steps 1 to 5. What happens when you try to complete the next step?
i still do not understand other steps.......the step 1 to 5 i did,i am still unsure of the answers i got.

i have not been able to get any guidance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You aren't giving us anything to work with.

How can we possibly tell you if the answers you got are correct when you won't tell us what answers you got?

How we can tell you what you might have done wrong when you won't tell use what you did?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You were to make some measurements in Step 4. What were your results?

You were to make a calculation in Step 5. What was the result?

Show your work on the Step 5 calculations.