Electronics Potting

cl10Greg

Joined Jan 28, 2010
Hello,
I was curious if anyone knew how some of these potting machines work for electronics? The question I really have is how they mix and dispense the two part epoxies? I can see the following scenarios:
  • Have the machine have a single hopper that has the combined parts already and it dispenses the mix. Seems logical but also have to consider usage time before it dries.
  • Have the machine have two hoppers that pour into a mixing chamber that does the mixing and then dispenses. Could have issues with the mixing chamber and cleaning.
  • Have the machine have two separate dispensers and have the epoxy added one at a time into the case. Since the two parts really aren't mixed together, this could not work at all or work very inconsistently.
What are your thoughts?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have seen nozzles that did a swirl effect to mix the ingredients, but I am no expert. However, I would say that any cleaning problems are much easier in a replaceable plastic nozzle than they are in a holding tank.

We had a thread here about removing potting compounds and it turns out to be a gigantic struggle, even if you know the chemistry involved. The only reasonable answer seems (to me) to be disposable parts.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Assuming I correctly understand your question, you may find [some of] the following points useful...

-With reference to the (admittedly few) operations with which I am familiar, mixing is accomplished 'on the fly' via pneumatics in the injector ‘heads’.

-Potting of electronic/electrical assemblies in resin is performed under hypobaric conditions.

-As regards cleaning, epoxies (even once fully polymerized), are rapidly degraded by most ketones (i.e. dissolution of the 'binder' with consequent 'precipitation' of the filler).

Best regards
HP

Last edited: