Electronics engineering vs electronics engineering technology degree?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I recently started college for a degree in electronics engineering. The university I am attending offers degrees in electronics engineering and electronics engineering technology.

Can someone explain the differences, give comments, suggestions?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
While I might have an opinion about the differences in these, your best source of information is the people in your school's department. All it takes is a phone call to get them to tell you what the differences are. They're the best source of information about their curricula...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
A couple of hundred years ago when I went to school I had the choice of a 4 year program for electrical engineering, and not sure if electronics engineering was 2 or 4 years. Anyway, I went for degree in electrical engineering. That's the degree my school still offers, even thought hey moved my campus (and built a friggin Walmart on the old site!) and changed their name 87 times.

YMMV, best to check with your school what the program offers. There may be some movement to calling a degree in "electrical engineering" now as "electronics engineering" but "electronics engineering technology" sounds like something watered down to me.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Electrical engineering at my college is to do with house wiring and stuff like that, electronic engineering is to do with circuits. Perhaps there is some similar difference?

I am doing electronic engineering at college currently, I don't mean to sound conceited but I'm top of the class and my teachers are begging me to do my work because I don't care about the grades (much) I just want to learn electronics. Half the other jokers in my class just want a degree, they don't know anything about electronics.

There are many differences between Engineering and Engineering Technology.
Between students, arguments about the differences arose since the terms were created.
The two fields of study are very much different from each other. In each and every major of study, Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil, Mechanical, etc.; there are Electronic Eng. Tech., Electrical Eng. Tech., Civil, Mechanical Tech., etc.)

From a student point of view, basically, it boils down to your abilities and interests. Some students are interested in the actual work, and some in the theories or principles. Some are interested in working in the design / at the drafting tables, and some are interested in working in the field, and enjoy getting their hands dirty.

At my school, the two fields of study will meet in some common courses and labs, and there you will hear the arguments between students of who does the actual job, who posses the knowledge of how things work in principle, etc.

For the abilities, engineering students (not technology) are more involved with advanced and sometimes very complex mathematics (depends on the engineering major) which is proper for the the study of theories and principles; where engineering technology students have less math but more labs.

here are some differences:

| Engineering | Technology
Study/Undergraduate | Higher level mathematics | Lower Level Math
| Theory | Application
Titles | Engineers | Technologists
Work | Planning/Design | Making plans work (Executing work)
Licencing | In some states only graduates of engineering may become licensed engineers. |

So, if you find yourself more comfortable with advanced math, theories and design, then go for engineering; otherwise, if you are more comfortable in studying existing technology and applying existing methods, hands-on and labs, then engineering technology is for you.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
There are many differences between Engineering and Engineering Technology.
Between students, arguments about the differences arose since the terms were created.
The two fields of study are very much different from each other. In each and every major of study, Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil, Mechanical, etc.; there are Electronic Eng. Tech., Electrical Eng. Tech., Civil, Mechanical Tech., etc.)

From a student point of view, basically, it boils down to your abilities and interests. Some students are interested in the actual work, and some in the theories or principles. Some are interested in working in the design / at the drafting tables, and some are interested in working in the field, and enjoy getting their hands dirty.

At my school, the two fields of study will meet in some common courses and labs, and there you will hear the arguments between students of who does the actual job, who posses the knowledge of how things work in principle, etc.

For the abilities, engineering students (not technology) are more involved with advanced and sometimes very complex mathematics (depends on the engineering major) which is proper for the the study of theories and principles; where engineering technology students have less math but more labs.

here are some differences:

| Engineering | Technology
Study/Undergraduate | Higher level mathematics | Lower Level Math
| Theory | Application
Titles | Engineers | Technologists
Work | Planning/Design | Making plans work (Executing work)
Licencing | In some states only graduates of engineering may become licensed engineers. |

So, if you find yourself more comfortable with advanced math, theories and design, then go for engineering; otherwise, if you are more comfortable in studying existing technology and applying existing methods, hands-on and labs, then engineering technology is for you.
That explains much! We were only required to complete advanced algebra and two semesters of physics. The professor told us that should we wish to continue on into a four year program, we had better drink heavily from the calculus cup.... EEEwwwwww!!!!:eek: I like using tools. :D