Electronic Voting Machine

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Kaustubh Parker, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Kaustubh Parker

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I've an mini project to be done in Microprocessors and embedded systems.
    Can anyone please help me in designing an "Electronic Voting Machine" using 8051 microprocessors. Please!!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Can you state the requirements? Things like the method of actually casting a vote. How much and what kind of information should the voting machine retain? How is it to output the tabulated votes? How does it get set up for a different vote?

3. Kaustubh Parker

Oct 31, 2009
    It is a mini Project, :confused: I'm too doing such sort of a project for the first time.. The basic requirement told by M'am was that we have to implement the project by using 8051 microprocessor and its series. It has to be done for a very basic use using a PCB. We have to burn program on the Microprocessor.

Please Help!!
    :(

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Unless you know exactly what needs to be done, the task is impossible. Do you have any requirements to satisfy, or is the project completely up to you?

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    "told by M'am"

Does this mean this is a school project? What have you been doing all semester?

You need to help yourself before anyone can help you. You need to at least get started with some kind of basic design. Especially since this appears to be a school project. Would you hire an engineer that had all of their school work done for them by someone else?

6. Kaustubh Parker

Oct 31, 2009

Hey there, I got all the basic info about the project. I just can't figure out the code which I need to program in my 89S52 microcontroller.

Yeah, you where write. It's a school project. But, Im not asking you to send me the whole project. I just need some help.

And if all about circuits forum can't help then please specify me a better place. I have also found many website giving me in detail info about the project. Some even gave link to purchase it online. But, neglect them since I want to create the project by my own with some help of experienced person like you all in this forum.

7. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Start with a block diagram or flowchart. Get it working on paper before you being prototyping.

8. Kaustubh Parker

Oct 31, 2009
    The project is completely upto me. Consider there are 4-5 task option with us and voting is done to do a specific tasks whose votes are maximum.

There might be around 100 voters.

I want to use a buzzer that might give an indication that the vote has been cast. A LCD to display the result. A keypad to cast the vote. Micro controller and a eprom where the code might be burned and to carry out the need calculations of the votes.

9. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    If your voting machine is a simple one then it is only a bunch of membrane swithces, buzzer, leds and a lcd display.

For this you need 8 port pins for the controller, 8 port pins for keys and one for buzzer, 2 for leds.

Use a linear power supply to get 5volts out of the mains.

8051 core is fine which make of the controller you want to use atmel, philips,???

10. Kaustubh Parker

Oct 31, 2009
    I want to use philips micro controller.

11. edgetrigger

Dec 19, 2010
    do your college have the programmer to burn in the program for the philips controller. 89c51 should be ideal. what have you selected?

12. Kaustubh Parker

Oct 31, 2009

No, college doesn't provide the burning kit. I have to burn the program. I know the place where it can be done. May I please get the code, if possible.

Thanks for helping :)

13. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

How many times do you need to be told? If you can't do some work on your part then no one is going to be able to help you.

You have barely defined any requirements. Where is your schematic? Where is the code that you have started? What were you doing all semester? People are willing to help but you need to do most of the work on your own.

Since this is a school project, you should be doing all of the work on your own. Would you hire an engineer for your company that had all of his school work done for him by someone else?