electronic safe's

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by maneta007, Jun 1, 2007.

1. maneta007

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I saw a battery powered electric safe at the store the other day, and I have wondered this..

The batteries are installed and replace INSIDE the safe.. There's no combination lock, and it's exclusively a numeric pad..

So um, what do you do when the batteries die? LOL

2. Pootworm

May 18, 2007
    That actually happened to me when I was an assistant manager at a retail store. I can tell you from experience that what you do is FREAK OUT. :)

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If it's not too expensive, give it as a gift to someone you don't like.

4. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    The more expensive ones have a backup key.

5. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    better un-safe than sorry :D

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Does someone want to try and give a logical reason for such a design? (Specifically the battery accessibility).

Dave

7. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    Get dynamite.

8. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    I think the reason is because such manufacturers are simply stupid. They are not conscious that batteries tend to discharge themselves.
    Need more examples? Think Microsoft...LOL

Also, probably they don't want the burglar to reset the safe by taking the battery out, but there are other solutions...that one is the worst one.

9. Salgat

Dec 23, 2006
    Is it possible to just bust open the keypad and put an external powersupply over the positive and negative bus?

10. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    This design prevents the dead batteries from being stolen.:D

Seriously, I think these safes were designed by salespeople. The batteries are inside to prevent tampering. Those other safes have batteries on the outside where anyone can get to them. You don't want folk being able to access the electronics, do you? Of course not! Pay more money for our protected battery design! Our even-higher-priced model has a "low battery" warning light.

At least that's how the clerk explained it to me. I didn't buy one.

11. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    So we are in agreement - this design is one of the dumbest that could possibly have been conceived. The funny thing is that it was probably spun as a technical advantage by the salesmen. Oh well!

Dave

12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Not quite. While in the Navy at a shore duty assignment, we had in the building a room that was very secret. It had an electronic lock on the door, which alarmed if the wrong numeral was pressed. On a long weekend, we went up and pressed buttons. The first one that did not sound the alarm was the first digit. It took a few minutes to find the others by the same methodology. Gotta have someone who cares before the alarm works.

Lots of small waveguide plumbing inside, by the way.

13. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    That code would be easy to find after a few tries. If the lock would accept or reject a code after a enter key was pressed (thus the code could have an undetermined number of digits), it would be a lot more difficult.