Electronic glasses (not Google) doable? An idea

Bill G

Joined Jul 14, 2014
I don't know about others on the forum, but the population on most boards today along with point to point wiring in panels makes it difficult to see as I get older. I have worked on equipment ranging from small forklifts to large cranes for over 40 years. Back then electronic troubleshooting was reasonably easy due to the size of components and the current and voltage associated with them.

I have an idea for someone with more time and ability than myself. What would be needed is a critique from others here as to the feasibility of the device. So here goes and this is aimed at the folks who have been involved in service work and can see where I am coming from.

We all see the advances in vision based devices (like Google glasses) as to the capabilities compared to years ago. Why not glasses that a technician, mechanic or whomever could wear that would zoom in at voice command (or a wearable pendant) to allow one to see the small components or stripe color on a wire in those high density areas. I realize this would probably require glasses that could go from transparent for normal work to display type for that close in work. Obviously there would be a safety aspect so one would not walk into the hook and block on a crane or step off a platform. Maybe something like this already exists and I am not aware of it but my experimentation with generic off the shelf components has not proven very effective. Although I also don't have the time to do the proper research or have the ability in micro miniature devices. Maybe an idea for someone out there. Oh by the way great forum, I should have signed up years ago. Bill

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Neat idea, strikes me that you might be able to do something with the camera and display form an old phone with a small display?

Also, to through in some feature creep from the outset, how about an overlay that guides the wearer in what to do - such as where to place the parts on a PCB. We are about to install a light guide system for assembly work that does this by projecting a light onto the workbench to guide the operator in what to to next. A glasses based version of this for home use may save a few burned out chips that were placed incorrectly.

Bill G

Joined Jul 14, 2014
Sure.. why not..
There are numerous "manual" magnification headbands out there..
Flip it down over your eyes when needed and flip it back up when you don't.
http://cdn.lssproducts.com/images/large/optvisor.jpg

Google glasses also have add-on apps that can zoom
Thanks for the reply, I have used those (have a pair in my truck) but they get in the way and many time my hands aren't free. I think the zoom part, especially a variable zoom, would be the most helpful.

Bill G

Joined Jul 14, 2014
Sorry I should have posted this about Google Glasses before, that is why I figured that maybe a dedicated pair designed more for our type work would be better suited.

"Be warned that having the ability to zoom on Google Glass seems pretty cool and all, but it’s actually not that great. The optical zoom on the camera is not that effective, so picture quality begins to degrade the more you zoom."