Electronic Engineering Journals

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Sparky49, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi guys, hope you are all well. :)

Just wondering if anybody is familiar with EE journals. I'm fairly naive as to what is actually out there and was wondering if anyone might have some knowledge to share.

How many journals are there that cater to the EE community? I'm aware of the IEEE and Hindawi, aside from that I can't think of many others.

Also, as one may look at one uni being 'better' than another, are there better journals? What are the top journals?

Finally (for the time being :D), when someone says they have a paper 'published', is their paper physically printed in a journal, or can the term apply to being uploaded as a PDF? If the former, does this mean that each journal contains hundreds of papers? Or do they only select the best to print and leave the others to be found online?

Many thanks for your time. :)

2. blah2222

May 3, 2010
    IEEE is by far the standard as far as EE papers goes.

Nowadays it seems as though if they make the cut they are published on IEEE Xplore, which means they are available to be downloaded as PDFs. Without academic or professional access you will most likely need to pay to view these papers.

I think most papers are actually printed and bounded to be stored somewhere at the institution where the work was conducted.

A lot of EE papers that conduct biomedical research make their way onto PubMed, which is also highly commended.
  3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    There are a number of EE journals. I have been published a few times, it always meant actual paper back in my day but these days, who knows. It may be on line. Two of the magazines I was published in most often were EE Times and EDN, and I think they are both online now.
  4. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    You will get much more practical information from EDN or EE Times than you will get from IEEE papers. You have to join an IEEE section to get most of the papers. The only really useful electronic design papers I picked up from the IEEE were generated in the 1960s. Look at the columns in EDN to pick up useful design notes; I wrote the "Analog Angle" column for EDN for years, and all those old columns are still available. These magazines contain longer articles on electronics including some terrific design articles.

The application notes available from IC manufacturers are an excellent source of information, but some of these articles are centered around one IC. You can download a free book "Op Amps for Everyone" at the TI site, but you have to really search the site to find it.

Now you have more access to tech info than you can handle for a while.