electronic differerential

Victor Robinson

Joined Feb 1, 2015
Hey Everyone
Just found your website while looking at "Picprojects" home page.
I want to build an "electronic differential " that I can use to control my "ride on" buggy.
The differential would have the effect of slowing down the "inside wheel" when cornering , (left/right) keeping the present "twist grip accelerator" to control the speed.
Each rear drive wheel has a motor 12vdc and a power drive unit. Battery Voltage =24vdc.
Each drive unit consists of two on board MOSFETS switched by a 12f683 pic device. A 10k potentiometer is used to regulate the pulses to the gates of the Mosfets.
I would appreciate any idea's as to how I can achieve this idea.
Many Thanks
gasper1939

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You should be able to monitor the torque and RPM of each wheel, and program the equivalent of a limited slip differential.

Victor Robinson

Joined Feb 1, 2015
How does the "twist grip accelerator" control the speed now? Is that the 10k pots?
Thanks for the post. At present , both motors are driven in parallel from the same "power pack" . The twist grip (similar to a motorbike accelerator ) is used to control the speed.
The unit has a "soft start" incorporated in the code, giving a smooth ramp up to full speed.
Hope this helps
Gasper1939

Victor Robinson

Joined Feb 1, 2015
You should be able to monitor the torque and RPM of each wheel, and program the equivalent of a limited slip differential.
I have no way of monitoring the RPM at the moment, but I can see where you are at , so by sensing the the current rise on the "inside" wheel , the "outside wheel could be made to speed up , the overall speed being regulated by the twist grip accelerator . Is that what your saying ?