electronic component ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok, I am wondering where is the best place to order electronic components like capacitors (of all sizes) , resistors , inductors , rectifiers , regulators , transistors , modulating/demodulating circuits , ic chips , sensors , transformers ....etc

I am mostly going to be concentrating on building RF transmitters/receivers.

It would be nice if the internet store was rather fair priced/cheap price's on components. Links please!
(would like the best site's to get parts in your guys opinions )

Also I have been designing some circuits in eagle and now I am pretty much to the point of wanting to make my design/fabricate it.
I don't want to use the toner transfer method would rather pay for somebody to do it for me. What is the best website/ internet site that would allow me to give them my design and they will ship me the board with the copper traces/holes already made. I need about 50 copies or so. Links please!
(would like the best site's to get do fab's in your guys opinions )

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
For component parts I have but one suggestion: Digi-Key. They have decent prices for low quantities, a $25 min order (as I remember), and their website is perfect! I even keep their toolbar on my browser. When you find a part they typically link to the data sheet, they have excellent search engines, and pages don't have a ton of crap so they load fast.

For low quantity PCB ExpressPCB is awesome, but you are limited to designing in their free software. For Eagle's output someplace like Sunstone (aka PCB Express) is comparable to any house. They also run lots of specials, though I have not used them personally.

If you have more time then money there are Chinese houses on EBay that makes boards for pennies, but standard shipping can take 2-3 weeks.

BatchPCB is another low cost option, but probably best for low quantities.
This is probably the longest lead vendor as they batch orders and send to their Chinese house; once they get them back they need to repack everyone's order.

Hey, I do this stuff for a living. This is what I use.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Digikey, Newark, Mouser in that order for electronic components.

seed studio or iteed for circuit boards if you fit into their sizing constraints..
You won't find a cheaper price than those guys but sometimes you might have to wait a few weeks.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok for the electronic components Digikey, Newark, Mouser I think those are what I am going to use.

I am wondering though Do these guys have reasonable prices for small orders.
Like say I want to order 10 ceramic capacitors of a certain type. Do you have to buy in bulk, will they hit you up for alot of money for a few if you don't want to buy 1000 ...etc?

Also will these companies do PCB board fabrication for you?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Do you have to buy in bulk, will they hit you up for alot of money for a few if you don't want to buy 1000 ...etc?
Just browse their online shopping options. You'll see the price breaks.

Also will these companies do PCB board fabrication for you?
Element14 (Farnell/Newark) has a new service where they sell you the parts and the PCB fabrication.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I agree with the three choices given above. Also recommend Dan's Small Parts and Kits in Missoula MT. Check out FAR Circuits for a wide variety of project PCBs. I believe they will also prepare PCBs from your data. I have had good luck with other 'net vendors, but you've plenty to get started.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dan's Small Parts and Kits has a lot of vintage RF hardware, at really cheap prices. The catch is he has one of the weirdest business models I've ever seen. Due to Homeland Security restrictions USA only, and he wants a check or money order, no plastic. Everything is done snail mail.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
And I almost forgot: http://FindChips.com

FindChips is not a supplier but a search engine to 20+ distributors. It will search them ALL for you to find where that obscure part you need it.

(Note: it is not limited to just chips but any part carried)