Electron tube survival under hyperbaric conditions

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Not txtspk needed, but I really doubt that words such as sojourn and phrases like "cursory perusal of the manifest" can be classified as merely formal :D Roughly a quarter of your posts contains words I have never heard of, and I tend to consider my self quite fluent in English ;)

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
In any event, stress may be the biggest problem. For the "tubes sake, you might have to "decompress". "Decompress" meaning to let the pressure and temperature equalize and don't bring stuff up too fast. That might not be allowed to happen though?
I would also be cautious of adding shock to the removal process since shock would add stresses to an already dicey situation.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Not txtspk needed, but I really doubt that words such as sojourn and phrases like "cursory perusal of the manifest" can be classified as merely formal :D Roughly a quarter of your posts contains words I have never heard of, and I tend to consider my self quite fluent in English ;)
I'll grant that 'sojourn' is a tad 'long in the tooth' - hence my application of same to a flippant context...:)

On the other hand "cursory perusal of" has it 'all over' "quick glance at", etc... in the ways of formality and, hence, clarity:):):) --- Just my two centimes:D:p

Very best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I would also be cautious of adding shock to the removal process since shock would add stresses to an already dicey situation.
The plan it to raise the vessel with inflatable 'ballasts' - hence all should be 'smooth as silk' prior to the 'bounce' (at atmospheric pressure) immediately following emergence --- Moreover the tubes are well stowed and, hence, 'buffered' (assuming the compartment is indeed dry) --- My principal concern is with vibration attending removal of cargo [cover] clamps - I've made it known that my participation in the effort is contingent upon written stipulation that (among other conditions) cutting of any 'frozen' clamps shall be by means of a cutting torch (as opposed to grinder, 'maul' or air chisel:eek::mad:) IOW - Your point is well taken!:):):)

Best regards
HP

PS 'maul' is colloquial hereabouts for 'sledgehammer' -- hence the scare quotes...:rolleyes::cool:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I hope you plan to show us the booty if you do decide to follow through.
So long as there is genuine interest!:) --- Get me 'talking' about my collections and I tend to become as the dreaded stranger inflicting a five-generation photo presentation of their family upon all within 'range':eek::eek::eek:

Best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP You said
Sounds like a nasty case of hydrophobia, Aleph!
Cute play on words but I not need be sick with the rabies to know you be exactly like lake superior which is mysterious, austerely beautiful and COLD:p!
You said
I'm sure glad you said that! -- Should self-preservation reflexes fail - dread of your condemnation will buoy me up (pun intended)
Excuse me for caring:(
You said
- Maintenance of 'good standings' with the MNRF/DNR, however, will require retention of debris -
You gonna have a long day if not even know if wreck in Ontario or Michigan waters:p!
you said
Get me 'talking' about my collections and I tend to become as the dreaded stranger inflicting a five-generation photo presentation of their family upon all within 'range':eek::eek:
Ah! Yea! And don't I know it:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's a novel idea: Wait until the ship is raised and look at the vacuum tubes. It should be obvious if they are crushed. If not, plug them in and test them.;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I am curious. I have a daughter who lives in Esko. Where is this salvage operation? She hadn't heard of anything around the Duluth area.
John
--Emphasis added--
Dear old Carlton county! -- First the 'Angels' Rally - then the closure of 'Lost Island' with subsequent relocation of the RACES FallFest to 'Four Seasons'!:mad::mad::mad: -Then the flooding! -- That such asperities should be visited upon so small an acreage! - wadda world!:eek:

But to your question -- While I doubt I'm at liberty to divulge the exact location (at this time) -- I will say that said site is several tens of miles ~WNW of Michipicoten island --- Many thanks for your interest! --'Tis a small world indeed!!!:)

Probably because it is on the down low I reckon. ;)
Mercifully, it's over 50 miles from shore (and, hence, out of casual 'gawker range') --- Tho' I can't imagine it being of much interest to anyone save 'stakeholders' - and, of course, the regulators (to wit: the MNRF and the DNR who insist on overseeing the operation so as to assess fines for any and every little 'slip up':mad: - Cops! - Cant live with them - Can't live without Em!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's a novel idea: Wait until the ship is raised and look at the vacuum tubes. It should be obvious if they are crushed. If not, plug them in and test them.;)
Yeah but... At that juncture I'll be committed one way or the other --- 'Tis the "grab bag" paradigm, if you will:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Cute play on words but I not need be sick with the rabies to know you be exactly like lake superior which is mysterious, austerely beautiful and COLD
Ummm... Is that an insult or a compliment?:confused: --- Anyway - if I must be compared to a geographical feature, Lake Superior would likely be my first choice!:cool:

Excuse me for caring:(
Ok -- But don't let it happen again!;)

You gonna have a long day if not even know if wreck in Ontario or Michigan waters:p!
What can I say? Both agencies insist on observing operations - If you have a problem with that I'm certain google can help with Addys, numbers, etc...

Ah! Yea! And don't I know it:D
Careful! -- Abstention from contrariness is bad for you image!:D

All the best

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
back in WW2, submarines leaking water bled presurised air into the boat to keep water out. I never heard about any problems with crushed vacuum tubes, if the equipment was kept dry, it still worked when (and if) they surfaced again.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
back in WW2, submarines leaking water bled presurised air into the boat to keep water out. I never heard about any problems with crushed vacuum tubes, if the equipment was kept dry, it still worked when (and if) they surfaced again.
Thank you! -- That is most encouraging especially as the tubes would have been subject to dynamic forces (attendant to motion) and, perhaps, operating temps --- Moreover, I can but imagine, those boats ran deeper than 20 fathoms and in ('heavier') salt water at that!:):):)

Very best regards
HP:):):)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thank you! -- That is most encouraging especially as the tubes would have been subject to dynamic forces (attendant to motion) and, perhaps, operating temps --- Moreover, I can but imagine, those boats ran deeper than 20 fathoms and in ('heavier') salt water at that!:):):)

Very best regards
HP:):):)
And shook quite violently when a near-by depth charge detonated. In the movies, the non-solid state sonar system continued to work. It would have made a good story line for Echo the Sonar-Guy having to change vacuum tubes to get the sonar up and running after each near-miss if it was 'a thing'. I assume the tubes are more robust than you fear.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
And shook quite violently when a near-by depth charge detonated. In the movies, the non-solid state sonar system continued to work. It would have made a good story line for Echo the Sonar-Guy having to change vacuum tubes to get the sonar up and running after each near-miss if it was 'a thing'. I assume the tubes are more robust than you fear.
Tubes were launched (fired) in proximity detecting artillery shells in WW2. :eek: I would assume the were _not_ standard construction.
I don't have any references so add them or correct me if I am wrong. ;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I assume the tubes are more robust than you fear.
I would assume the were _not_ standard construction.
FWIW - Based upon tubes salvaged from old "war surplus" stock, It seems '40s era military equipment prominently featured 'Loctal', 'Poly-planar', 'acorn' and 'door knob' style electron tubes -- None of which appear 'hardened' from a structural standpoint (curiously, metal-envelope types are seldom seen in military appratus:confused:)

Of course, where pressure is at issue, volume is a critical factor...

Very best regards

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
and tubes like the 6sn7, a dual triode with a glass envelope ( ocasionally metal) and an octal base were in common use. the :"W" or ruggedised versions mostly came out later. like 5r4W and such. door knob and acorn tubes were made that way for high frequencies, not for ruggedness. shorter eads to the elements, spacing away from other leads and such.